Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hello themanindetroit,

Finding a floor shift steering column is going to be very difficult as they are getting as rare as hens teeth and when you do find one it will cost an organ or two. 1965-1968 full size columns are more or less interchangeable with caveats. By 1968 the column was collapsible and the hazard switch was moved to the column as well. The 1965/66 columns are not collapsible and there is no provision on the column and turn signal switch for the hazard button. On those years the hazard switch was in the glove box. I'm not sure what the '67 had, but these are things to consider.

Unless your hell bent on finding an original Ford column and are willing to wait and pay a handsome sum for one then I would consider going to an aftermarket column (be warned I have yet to see one that supports the dual horn contact for the Ford steering wheel) or just shave the shift collar on your column and perform a little surgery and smooth it out so it looks more like a floor shift column.

Good Luck

·
Registered
450 Posts
I changed from a column shift automatic to a console floor shift automatic. Last year I was able to find a floor shift steering column in the junkyard and paid around $35 for it. The lower 4" or so was pretty much rotted so we cut the bad section off and used a piece of the column shift we were removing and tig welded it onto the end. I agree with DesertXL that they're very hard to find and maybe I just got lucky. I have seen them listed on ebay from time to time but usually with the bucket seats and console and yes, ridiculously expensive.

Again, as DesertXL stated, dual contact horn buttons are not common with the aftermarket however, Billet Specialties makes one and it's polished billet. I wanted black so I got the single contact button and had a machinist friend mill out the back side and we were able to make a two contact button out of a single contact.

If you look closely at the pic you can see where it was cut and welded but nobody is ever going to see it. And once installed it's pretty much invisible.

As was pointed out, there are some very limited options out there for you but you'll have to persevere.

IMG_1302.JPG
IMG_1587.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! Nice column and interior! I can use my three speed column until I can find a floor shift column. My three on the tree is starting to grow on me. :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate that!

After doing a little research I'm not sure you need to change out the whole column. The cone shaped flange where your shifter currently is can be changed. The part number for the Galaxie floor shift flange is the same as for a Mustang (some parts are interchangeable) which is C7ZZ-3790-C. So maybe it will be a little easier to find than we thought and you can get out of it cheap!

The other flange that houses the emergency flasher button would be C7AZ-3511-A which I believe is the one you have as that number covers column shift M/T and floor shifters.

If anyone reads this differently than I, please chime in.

See the Master Parts Catalog pictures I posted below.

Scan 2020-9-16 17.47.03.jpg
Scan 2020-9-16 17.48.33.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts