Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving all weekend in My66 I’ve got a situation I’m not sure if it’s normal or irregular
I put a cleat filter just prior to the fuel pump. The filter is full at first start then quickly empty’s but it runs fine no hesitation and it runs a constant 4.5 PSI at the pressure gauge installed at the tee fitting at the carb. I see fuel at the base of the filter but it never fills back up.
Also should I have a vented or unvented gas cap it has a huge pressure build up.
Thanx in advance for the help

·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
Needs to be be vented so when the gasoline level goes down the vent will let in some air so you don't end up with a vacuum in the tank.
Should also be vented the other way so when in it gets hot and the gasoline expands it can push some air out. If the cap you got now is airtight you can buy a two-way vented one or just drill a 1/16" hole through the one you got and all will be well.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
That's just the way those clear filters work- they never seem to be filled.

You need a vented cap, actually an anti-surge type. Or, convert to a vapor recovery system and vent through a carbon canister. If you have a basement garage this is highly recommended.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts