Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to get this project painted. I would like to send the bumpers and headlight bezels to be rechromed while i find a good paint shop and finish polishing the trim. South Carolina does not allow chrome shop so I know I will have to ship off the material. Does anyone have a suggestion of who to use and the price range? I normally go to the shop and check it out but all will be out of state and at least 6 hours from me. Pop-ins would get expense and time consuming.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am ready to get this project painted. I would like to send the bumpers and headlight bezels to be rechromed while i find a good paint shop and finish polishing the trim. South Carolina does not allow chrome shop so I know I will have to ship off the material. Does anyone have a suggestion of who to use and the price range? I normally go to the shop and check it out but all will be out of state and at least 6 hours from me. Pop-ins would get expense and time consuming.
Advanced plating in nashville if you want them done right.

They are pricey, but they'll plate a lot of things the other guys wont attempt, and they'll warranty it.

I've seen what they do with pot metal. The quality and durability ( and lack or outgassing pimples) is nothing short of masterful.

Just keep in mind , because they're the best, the prices are the highest ( $800 for the chrome center hoot trim piece on gal 500s.)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I used Ogden Plating out of Ogden, Utah to re-chrome my bumpers, headlight bezels and GALAXIE rear fender letters. Could not be happier with the job they did. My body guy, who has done many award winning hot rods, indicated they did a top notch job.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fastback: what did they charge for the headlight bezels? I want to send my headlight and taillight bezels as well as my bumpers.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'll need to go back and check my invoices, but from what I remember it was around $1500 for everything....best guess would be about $350 for the headlight bezels...mine were pretty bad. My GALAXIE letters were rough as well. They were very good about contacting me and their prices were reasonable. I had a lower price locally, but a couple of car guys I know told me not to use them as their work was shoddy. I had a guy from the Galaxie Club of America recommend Ogden Plating and I have to say he was right on the money.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that sounds about right. I was thinking around $500 per bumper and $150 per bezel. If you find your exact invoice I would still like to know the figure.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok advanced plating got with me. are you ready? (i wasnt)
$2400 for front and rear bumpers
$800 for front headlight bezels
$450 for tail light bezels.

Zombie you was right. This car is just a fun restore and I just can not do almost $4000 for a couple pieces. It would look very interesting with super chrome and primer for the next year so I can pay it all off. I am getting a couple other quotes and will get back with everyone.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I checked my invoices and I could not find the one from Ogden Plating...must have trashed it.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I used pauls chrome for grille and small pot metal parts and mark at galaxie club for bumpers both did really nice work.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts

Dang at that price you should be able to get new ones cheaper if available.
Just had front and rear bumpers (6 pcs,) done it Shreveport, La. two months ago for a 63 Impala for $700.00.
Said he would do my 67 Galaxie bumpers for $300.00 each.
Thing is the Older brother just died and I think they are getting ready to quit.

On the East side of Dallas on Highway 80 there is a shop run by Mexicans (I think) that do work cheaper than that and do a great job.
I can't find the address right now but maybe some Dallas people on here can help.

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts

Zombie you was right. This car is just a fun restore and I just can not do almost $4000 for a couple pieces. It would look very interesting with super chrome and primer for the next year so I can pay it all off. I am getting a couple other quotes and will get back with everyone.

yeah $800 bucks for the long thin hood trim was what they quoted me. Next was $800 per bumper, $800 for this, $800 for that and I'm Local so no shipping! $800 was the magic number when i called and then again when i stopped over there. I think total for the stuff that i needed rechromed was in the neighborhood of $6K.

At those rates, no wonder all they are doing is riddler award winners, etc.

The insane prices are what drove me to start liking the flat silver painted chrome bits. Once I get paint on the body of my car, I'll be using the same silver that they used to use on rally wheels in the 60s on all of the bits that are currently chrome. Using silver will also allow me to run fiberglass bumpers without messing with the contrast.

I just can't justify spending more on chrome than I'll have into my motor including Fuel injection and twin turbos!

Advanced does do some beautiful work though!

·
Registered
235 Posts

Thanks for getting that quote. Looks like I'll have to go a different direction than Advanced Plating for my '68 bumpers. I'll never have $2400 to spend on bumpers.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The insane prices are what drove me to start liking the flat silver painted chrome bits. Once I get paint on the body of my car, I'll be using the same silver that they used to use on rally wheels in the 60s on all of the bits that are currently chrome. Using silver will also allow me to run fiberglass bumpers without messing with the contrast.
You have a link for that paint?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I go ahold of Tri city plating in TN outside johnson city. They quoted me $375 each but they only do bumpers. I tried my hardest to find negative reviews. I really couldn't find anything other than they are normally pretty back logged. So my plan is to send the bumpers to these guys and try the pot metal bezels somewhere else. I really appreciate all the feed back. As usual this forum rocks once again.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In a similar vein....I've seen cars that were completely wrapped in chrome vinyl. I wonder if someone could do the same with bumpers and misc parts. May not look as nice as real chrome, but better than silver paint for sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts