Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend the one that lives in the Desert (home stading).
His generator is giving him fits... I think his prob is carb. what do you think heres the prob..
when he can get it started it well run good for a couple of hours and then start dieing. it well go run/almost die run/ all most die and so forth.. it runs at about 1500 rpm or more I don't remember what he said. but it well go from 1500 to almost die then back up to 1500 and almost die / so forth.
Can someone help..
thanks
tim

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I've seen that happen when the oil level dropped. Most newer ones have a built in shut off when the oil level drops. Don't know if his does.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On 2006-11-27 10:51, retyler wrote:
I've seen that happen when the oil level dropped. Most newer ones have a built in shut off when the oil level drops. Don't know if his does.
THANKS retyler
I wondered about that he said he switched out the oil and put in some synthetic oil. I don't know if thats when the prob started he said it does have an oil shut off switch. Its a one wire one so I told him next time he gets it fired up to un-plug it and see if that stops if from shutting off.. I explaned that the one wire one is just a grounding switch... RIGHT??... so it should start and run.. He all ways check the oil and gas every time he starts it anyway..

ANYONE ELSE ??

Tim

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Yeah, the switch just grounds the magnetos so the spark doesn't go to the plugs.

At least it does on the 12 horse briggs we have here at school.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I would sya if its still there and it prob will be ... that it needs a new gov spring it is doing what is called searching meaning it gains and looses rpm as it runs this is a sure sign of a GOV problem

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had one doing it a couple of years ago at my hunting camp. Did last long put the rod out through the side of it. Junk it buy a honda problem solved!.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Ive heard that a lot of people unplug the oil sensor right when they get it. They just go bad and cause you problems. You just have to check the oil.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Actually the sensor does a good job. If the level drops, it kills the engine. Exactly what its supposed to do. Never seen one go "bad".

On most Briggs & Scrapiron jobs with the sensor though, you have to over fill the crankcase a little (to the TOP of the hole and then a little more) in order to fool the sensor. Once the oil gets wrapped around the crank, cam, & governor, the level in the case drops and the sensor goes crazy. Just put a little extra in and it's fine. Doesn't hurt a thing.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all
I have passed on the info and he and I think it is oil switch related. I talked to him yesterday and he said its been running for about 3hrs and no prob BUT its realy cold now so the oil isn't to thined out so hes not haveing any prob with it... So were thinking its the oil switch... I told him next time it starts messing up to pull the wire on the switch and see if that fixes it....
Thanks Again All
tim

·
Registered
908 Posts
Gas cap......

If the cap's vent is blocked, it will not allow air into the gas tank to replace the fuel as it is burned.

The result is a leanout after about an hour or so, sometimes sooner of the tank is completely topped off.

If he has any more trouble, tell him to run it without a gas cap for awhile and see how it does.

Greg

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Fuel....it's not the oil switch......

also check the rod from the gov to carb it should have a spring on it, it's there to keep the linkage tight. I take care of 100 small gas powered engins and have seen a broken spring do this a few times. Also he should clean the water trap on the fuel tank (water will freeze and slow the fuel down) and the bowl on the carb. if it has an adjustable main jet on the bottom of the carb it might be a little lean, with a load on it screw it in until it starts to hunt and then back out until it smooths out.

When that oil switch works (low on oil) it will shut it down like you pulled the plug wire.
I realy thing its got nothing to do with the oil switch.......

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 393Clevor on 12/1/06 8:41pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
On 2006-11-30 08:55, pedal2themetal45 wrote:
Thanks all
I have passed on the info and he and I think it is oil switch related. I talked to him yesterday and he said its been running for about 3hrs and no prob BUT its realy cold now so the oil isn't to thined out so hes not haveing any prob with it...
Thanks Again All
tim
After 3 hours that oil is as thin as it can get no mater what the temp is outside I would think.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts