Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 1965 Falcon 2dr with a 170 I6. I have a decided to swap a 351w from a 93 Bronco (converted back to Carb). I'm a little confused about what bell housing I need since I have 164t flywheel. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Si I did some more digging, it looks like i'll need to buy a 157t flywheel and C5OP-7976-A bellhousing that fits along with a 157t flexplate. is this correct?

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Indeed, the 157T would give you a hair more room at the front of your tunnel.

More info than you wanted to know: There are three primary bellhousing "sizes", with their own flex-plates and torque converter sizes. 164, 157, and 141-tooth. Just be sure you have all three parts matching, and that the TC also has the correct splines for your year C4.

The 141T is far less common, as it was only used on the small-block Mustang II, so a V8 could fit the Pinto chassis. The 157T was most common pre-'72 or so, and 164T since then, but years overlap greatly. The small-block bolt pattern is also used on 240 and larger inline 6-cylinders, and 3.8L V6 and larger, making it easier to find bellhousings. However, the flexplates are not useful on V8s due to different balance, and the converters will stall higher if rebuilt and reused on a higher-torque V8. ;)

Torque converter splines (to fit the C4 input shaft) are 24 from '64 through '69, changing to 26-splines from '70 to '80. 1981-86 used the same spline-count in the upgraded C5, but the converter is thicker (to fit a lockup clutch) and will not fit a C4 bellhousing.

The torque converter bolt pattern matches the converter with their flex-plates, so a 9.4" bolt circle fits a 141T, a 10.5" pattern fits a 157T, and an 11.4" pattern fits the 164T, no matter the overall diameter. Note there are some exceptions to all this, and aftermarket versions of each part to adapt stuff together, so almost anything is possible. Hope that helps.

David

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that's very helpful :). I do know that my C4 is a case fill from 65', so the C5OP-7976-A (bellhousing used with the 289 V8 in the falcon) is the bellhousing I need, unfortunately they are on the pricey side. Around $190 on Ebay :( .

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I'm sure you're aware but the narrow engine compartment with the shock towers a 351W is a tight fit. I know lots have done it and I considered it (going with a 427 stroker rather than the 347) but having so little room in there already I decided against it. Changing spark plugs is a chore and the headers are going to be REALLY tight too! Just passing that along.

Good luck!

John

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I read a post about that on here already, I might notch the towers or go with a kit (can't remember the name) . I just got the motor mounts from FalconParts.com, i'll post pics when I have the motor in. :)

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Thanks, I read a post about that on here already, I might notch the towers or go with a kit (can't remember the name) . I just got the motor mounts from FalconParts.com, i'll post pics when I have the motor in. :)
I've seen those kits where you get a template that shows where to cut and a flat plate goes in. I wished that I'd done that just for the added clearance but didn't. I don't recall the companies that make them either.

Have fun!

John

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've seen those kits where you get a template that shows where to cut and a flat plate goes in. I wished that I'd done that just for the added clearance but didn't. I don't recall the companies that make them either.

Have fun!

John
CAMMER NOTCHING KITS

I bought their strut/disc brake conversion kit. Bolted right in with no problems. Watch the videos and you'll see how easy they make it. I was thinking of doing their rack and pinion set-up but most conversions wont work with the column shift.

·
Registered
676 Posts
That's the notch kit I used, by RRS. I found instructions a bit weak, but, once you tape the templates on where/how to cut towers, makes more sense & only took me part of a day to do.
Comes with thick plates to fill the holes you cut & bracing that welds into the wheel side for more support, not sure if other kits supply this extra bracing.
Years earlier, had helped a buddy do his 64, using the Crities notch kit, instructions were laughable & it did not come with the extra bracing pieces.
I know he called & called Crities to check if they had been left out on his order, but never got a reply

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.