Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a new edelbrock intake and carb among other things on my 65' 390. Got everything looking good, carb linkage and kickdown all set up, new distributor and coil, plug wires, etc. BUT, I realized (a little too late) that I forgot about the the piece of hose between the bypass fitting in the front of the intake and the matching fitting coming off the water pump. I can't figure out anyway in the world to get a piece of hose on correctly without either removing the water pump or taking the intake off which I really, reallly don't want to do. I am about ready to slice a short piece of hose length ways and see if I can overlap it and get it tight enough with hose clamps not to leak but I am doubtful about this idea. Coming from a small block chevy background, I can't believe how much work these FE engines are for something as simple as removing an intake manifold. Your Ford guys are hardcore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I hate to tell you, but you will be pulling the water pump to do it right. Since you have worked on SBCs before it will feel just like home. There are 4 bolts to remove and it comes off. It is not that bad to do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link. From many of the posts, it seems pretty common to plug these nipples off and drill some small holes in the T-stat. Any comments about this method?

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Ggrahn,
WAAAY back when I had my 1st Galaxie, I did the same thing. I got a piece of hose, warmed it up and worked it until it was real plyable. At that point I was able to squeeze it in there. You can also shorten the nipple a little on the manifold with a hacksaw.
I was almost as stuuppider then as I am now, but I got the hose on there. The fitting on the water pump and manifold are sometimes longer than they need to be. I know it sounds kind of "backyard" doing it this way.......if the water pump is old/unknown, I'd get a new one and do it that way.

Good luck,
Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts