Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the story....I was driving my car today and had been driving for about 20 minutes (into town) and slowed down for a stop light and she STALLS....had a hell of a time getting her to start, but finally she goes and I pull off the road and stalls AGAIN!!! Made it home ok but had to keep her revved at the lights as she wanted to quit everytime my foot went off the gas... is this definately going to be a carb problem or could it be something easy like a dirty pcv valve or fuel filter????
PS, the carb has been puking gas out onto the manifold since I got it....new gasket probably needed there????????
Appreciate any info guys...thanks.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
sounds like some dirt in the needle and seat.
New carb? How long ago and have you set it up? And I think, at one time, you said your car was parked for the winter (maybe I heard wrong) could there be some sediment, or have you fueled up at a new gas station.
ps, you from the coast or ? Reason I asked, is I have cabin fever and if you need a hand with it, it is no problem.
Fred

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carb has been in there since???????? Who knows when...and yes she was sitting for the winter, I warmed her up on a regular basis for at least a half hour each time but didn't drive her from the end of September until the beginning of march and it had the same gas in it that whole time. I am over on the island
but thanks for the offer of help, I really appreciate it!! I have a buddy here who is willing to help me with a rebuild....so if that is what it is, it looks like I am gonna learn how to rebuild my carb!!!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Hey Ponygirl, Fred and I will come over and rebuild the carb for ya, no problem. Been awhile sinse I've touched the island.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Since it will go when you give it some throttle it is at least getting gas to the primary jets. Some dirt n crud has probably got in the idle mixture passages or idle air bleeds in the carb.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
My dads Mustang started to shake like hell at idle for no good reason last week. When I put my carb on it it ran like a top. So I helped him rebuild his carb last weekend and its working good.

So try to get a KNOWN working carb, and put it on your car to see if it cures the problem.

Maybe take out the idle screws and spray carb cleaner down them? might do the trick.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
If it is a Holley carb, I'd try replacing the vinton valves in the bowls with some solid metal ones. This can be done without pulling the carb.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If it's a Holley, it could have blown the power valve. Check all your vacuum lines too. Could have some dirt in the needle and seat assembly too.

79 F150 4x4 (Soon To Be FE Powered)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RonMeyer on 4/3/02 1:21am ]</font>

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your help guys....decided I am just going to get the carb rebuilt, everything else seems ok...I have no pcv valve...hehehe...I am still just learning!!
Took the carb off tonite and I will take it in tomorrow... hopefully that will perk her up for a while...till the next thing.......

Thanks again for the input!!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Don't let the idea of rebuilding the carb seem daunting. As long as you lay out all your parts ahead of time and follow the directions its a snap. In an hour you'll have it put back together and dialing it in in no time. One thing I put on my carb when I rebuilt it was the clear bowl screws. Now I don't have to take the screw out, push on the car to make the fuel slosh around, spill fuel, and replace the screw. I can see my fuel level at all times if its too high or too low. Its a great 5 dollar investment. Good luck with your carb rebuid, and make sure you do it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts