Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an aluminum housing, independent rear suspension Ford 8.8" differential (complete center section). Believed to be out of a Lincoln Mark VII, which would make it a 1984-1992 (if the Mark VII origin is accurate...not positive on this).

The tag reads:

430B
3 07 88 3C23

The unit accepts 28 spline axles.

My GUESS is that it was manufactured 3/7/88 and that it has a 3:23 gear. I'd bet that the "C" between the "3" and the "23" indicates whether it's limited slip or not. Since I'm just guessing, can anyone help?

I need to know the gear ratio, is it limited-slip or not, and will any aftermarket limited slip units Eaton, Auburn Pro, etc.) work in these Lincoln 8.8" units?

I don't have this unit in my possession, so I can't do the usual manual checks to discover this info.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well I'm fairly sure that any 8.8 inch differential will fit in this as I believe that almost all 8.8s have the same basic specs. the auburn unit should fit as well as a detriot locker and ford trac loc for an 8.8. I've got an 8.8 in my 86 F150 4X4 that I put a detroit ezy locker in.(done professionally that is)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correction on the info in my original post: I learned from someone who works on Lincolns frequently that since the unit is aluminum, it has to be from a Mark VIII, NOT a Mark VII. That makes it 1993 vintage or newer.

I still need to know the gear ratio and type of differential (open or limited slip), if anyone can decode the tag. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is 3.07 gear, open, 8.8" (it would say 3L07 if it were limited slip)

Only Mark 8's and new cobra IRS's get the aluminum center section. Same thing as 89-97 tbirds and cougars. Only the super coupes and xr7's got the 8.8 though, base models got 7.5" irs.
Mark 7 was fox chassis, making it a solid axle.
Becuase of the snap rings that hold the axles in the carrier you can't use a normal 8.8" diff to replace although the irs diff will replace a solid axle diff. I don't know off hand of any particular aftermarket ls/locker available that will accept the snap rings.

oh and uhh.. I happen to have a low milage center section here that is LS.. out of a 90 super coupe(same exact thing, but not aluminum). 2.73 though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ummduh on 5/1/02 4:14am ]</font>

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, ummduh, thanks a lot for the info!!

I'm still just a bit confused:

You stated: "It is 3.07 gear, open, 8.8" (it would say 3L07 if it were limited slip)"

Here's where I get confused. The tag on the unit in question reads like this, with the spacing just as I have typed it below:

3 07 88 3C23

According to your decoding method above, where 3L07 would be a 3:07 ratio, then wouldn't the tag on the one I'm looking at which reads, 3C23 be a 3:23 ratio?

I think it's confusing that the series of numbers starts with the "3 07" but there is a space between the 3 and the 07. What do you think?

A fellow who does a lot of work on Mark VIIIs advised me that (in his opinion) on these vehicles some 3.07 ratios were open and some limited slip; but that all 3:23 ratios were limited slip. However, I have heard that the "L" in the last series of numbers does stand for limited slip, just as you indicated. I wonder what the "C" stands for in this one? C clip style axles? "Closed" versus open diff?" Any opinion on that? I don't have a clue!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Need help decoding tag on Lincoln 8.8" IRS differential

I also have a IRS that I am installing into my 50 Ford f1 Truck. The IRS came outta 94 Lincoln Mark 8. Has 8.8 Diff. Im pulling out a 9" which hooks up to my C4.

The Mark 8 has a 4R70W trans and had an aluminum Drive shaft.

My issue is how to couple my C4/drive line to that 8.8 te flange is different

Has any one done this? I have the aluminum Drive line from the donor car too.

thanks
Fittyfod

1 - 7 of 7 Posts