Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my husband the 71 but no one seems to be able to pinpoint the exact engine size. I bought it as a 1 owner vehicle with 59000 miles on it. The woman I bought it from said it belonged to her dad and had a 490 in it. but some people mechanics are saying 351 -460 which is a very wide range. The car sat up for over 15 years before we got it and everything is original under the hood.
I have the title and what I believe is an engine block #, the problem comes in with my husband saying that the numbers I see are on the exhaust,
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
not the engine. Can anyone help me figure this out?
Engine stamp is 010For E-8490-8or BA

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Post up a photo of the engine itself. It will give us a guide to what engine it is.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
It's a 400.

Reactions: 51 Ford F1

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you're going to keep it very long, I'd have the engine, transmission and rearend rebuilt in stock form. Looks like a heater core is needed by the hoses and have the AC redone. Brakes and suspension could probably use some attention to. Beautiful body. Love the smoked windows.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Might want to check the carb out too. Can’t tell if it’s rust (in the arm) or if your accelerator pump is leaking. Wouldn’t hurt to rebuild it; kits on line and not too hard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Might want to check the carb out too. Can’t tell if it’s rust (in the arm) or if your accelerator pump is leaking. Wouldn’t hurt to rebuild it; kits on line and not too hard.
yes I ordered a new carb, new hoses a/c belt, heater hose, and some other parts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Becareful, they're a money pit on wheels. I would do brakes and suspension next. Nothing worse then getting her going and have the brakes fail when you need them the most. Suspension makes for a nice ride. Cars like these are made for 6 people and pony keg in the trunk.
My 72 LTD I had. I painted over the orange with black. Made for a black and white coming up behind you and people moved over fast.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts