Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a 64 gal with a 390. only prob. no trans or drive shaft.
im on and extremly tight budget. but i rather drive my ford then my 62 buick. i found a 390 cruise o matic and shaft for cheap. little more then i can afford but i really want my car running. the only catch. the set up is out of a 66 tbird. does anyone know if this set up will bolt right in. or is the shaft noe going to be the right size. any help please?

·
Registered
163 Posts
If the transmission is behind an FE motor then it will fit. FE being 332,352,360,390,410,427 or 428. If I remember correctly there is 6" spacing between each engine-trans bolt hole.

Depending on what was in your car transmissionwise will depend on how you will need to adapt your cross member if at all.

To ensure proper length you need to measure from trans mounting surface on back of block to the center of where the U-joint will be at the rear end. Compare that to what is coming out of the T-bird. You may have to swap out U-joints depending on your rear end (not hard).

You're also going to require a torque converter of course. Does your engine still have a flex plate? Linkage is pretty simple.

PS: Not a good idea to go cheap, especially on transmissions, they come back to bite you in the a$$. Hope you're getting it from a trusted source.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The TBird was likely a floor shift car and if your Galaxie is a column shift then you will need to change the gear change lever in the transmission or have someone weld on a new one in the proper location.

Scott...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts