Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left brake light dose not work. I ckecked the fuse, and the wires to the bucket. Both taillights work when the headlights
are on but when I step on the brake only the right brake
light comes on the left dose nothing.

Can someone point me in a direction I haven't tried?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes bulb was changed and the turn signal works.

If I have the lights on and step on the brake the light will
stay on but the part of the bulb that is for the brake will not
light up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know most turn signal switches have the brake and turn signal wires going to them so that the turn signal will blink when you apply the brakes, the brake and turn signal are the same filament in the bulb. Could be something in the turn switch.
Also if you have a bad ground connection to the tailight housing you will get some strange operations from the electrical circuits.

Dan

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I had similar problem in my Mustang two years ago. The problem is within your turnsignal switch. If zero brake lights, then try the pedal switch.

However, look at your manual for wiring diagram, pull a few connectors and jumper the wires around the internal connection of the turn signal switch. Take a look if you then have that extra element glowing. If you are lucky, perhaps your foot undid the conector, and you may be going once again. If not begin looking for another turn signal switch, for so much is routed through it.

Wm.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
If one brake light works, it is not the brake light switch. The power to the switch is always there so your brake lights will work without the key on. Troubleshoot the light scocket by switching the wires from the right taillight,the one that works, to the left. If the brake light does not work with the wires switched the problem is in the bucket(socket,ground, etc. If it does work, the problem will most likely be in the wiring from the tail light to the turnsignal switch. It is possible that it has become disconnected under the dash. That would be a simple fix. Next would be to inspect the turnsignal switch in the upper column.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O.k. I tried switching the buckets and nothing still no left brake light. Also I forgot to what I have. This is a 64 ranchero so the brake switch is on the master cylinder.
Also I checked under the dash all wires are still connected.

So how would the turnsignal switch affect the brake light?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The turn signal switch is like a big multi contact rotary switch. It connects up a whole bunch of wires thissa way or thata way when thrown left or right, or left alone. The little body autos all used the same system up into about 1967, then a revision and yet anothr style from there to 1971.

Pretty common to blow the contacts within that turn signal switch. If you had emergency flashers, they wired around the turn signal switch for few years. But locate a wiring diagram, figure out which ones, jumper to check, and then begin looking for another one.

Wm.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Glad you got it fixed, but what did you fix?

Bulbs, TS switch, brake light switch, grounds...Lots of suggestions. What was busted?

Murff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts