Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. i have an old holley 4bbl that i want to sell on ebay so i can afford some more stuff for my 69 galaxie. problem is i don't know exactly what i've got. if anyone could give me some information it would be greatly appreciated.
not sure where to even look for a part number or what one looks like as there are alot of numbers all over the thing. i do see "list1483" and the date 1956. i was told it originally came of an old thunderbird.

thanks for any help. this forum is great.

scott

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
My Holley book indicates the 1483 to have come off of an Edsel E-400 361 CID engine. This carb resembles the more popular 1850 series.

It is doubtful that a 1956 era carburetor would fit the more modern series of FE engines.

Wm.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Well, I have a Holley (list) 1074 carburetor which came off a 1956 Thunderbird with Auto-trans. The normal appearance of this era four barrels for Holley was to have the fuel bowl above the venturi's. Same as on the Mercury two barrels of the prior years. This makes for a distinctive design appearance.

In 1957 they switched to the more popular rectangular wide pattern, as on the FE series for decades. The square pattern wasn't used for any of the popular designs of engines like the 292 and 312 it was designed for after 1956. The 1956 date you are seeing may be related only to a patent date, and has little to do with production date. My Holley booklet does not mention the additional stampings.

By thought is to advertise it as an Edsel carburetor. I don't know what it was but the basic Edsel engine seemed to have a bit more poop than a similar Ford engine. Do remember, they had camshaft problems in the 1958-59 era engines.

Wm.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks again csbylmbr. sounds as though my carb is of a later design as it's rectangular with square (i guess float areas) front and back. looks like a big rectangle with a circle and four holes in the middle. i'll advertise it as probably an edsel carburetor but also advise that any potential buyer check the numbers and email me for more information if needed.

maybe i'll get enough to take the edge off some galaxie parts.

have a good sunday and again i appreciate the help..
scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.