Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help identifying emblems for 65 galaxie custom 500 -4 door
Hi I recently obtained a 1965 Galaxie custom 500 four-door. I'm working on Getting the vehicle back in shape. it had water damage and needs some mechanical work such as breaks a new wiper motor wiper switch and heater fan I'm not sure what else it needs so far. I am working on redoing the Interior after the water damage and hopefully some of it will be salvageable.

I've been having a difficult time locating what specific emblems were on this specific galaxie. If anyone knows what emblem was on they rear passenger fender. And also what emblem would be on the trunk. Your help would be much appreciated. I have attached pictures that show the holes present. The trunk appears to have to holes on the left side and another identical two holes on the right side.

The passenger rear fender pierced to have a couple holes on the left side and three more holes nearby on the right side of the fender.

Any pictures of specific emblems that you believe would fit on these / that went with it would be much appreciated.

I knew to this forum but am excited to be a member!
Thank you!!

Attachments

·
Registered
965 Posts
The trunk has Ford letters on it like the hood and the custom 500 has its own special emblems on the quarter panels,at the time I got my 65 custom 500 about 10 years ago I picked up two NOS emblems for around 10 dollars each but got each one seperately but are going for much more now. Some also had two spears on each side of the truck lock cylinder as mine are supposed to but the holes were filled and not going to worry about it.,there are also emblems on the roof sides just above the quarter panels. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Those were missing on mine when I got it,I did find some of the letters in the car and had some left over from a 65 I had 30 years ago. After I purchased the NOS quarter emblems I was removing the newer seat and found them under the seat and in decent shape so they went on,I tried to find the spears that go on each side of the trunk lock but never could find a decent set of used ones and all the ones in the junkyard were shot. I can post some pics if you need to see what they look like.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The side emblems are shown in your Ford shop manual, Group 17 page 20.The trunk emblem is on page 25. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner.
The trunk spears are not found on the Custom 500. It's more of a XL or LTD feature

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those were missing on mine when I got it,I did find some of the letters in the car and had some left over from a 65 I had 30 years ago. After I purchased the NOS quarter emblems I was removing the newer seat and found them under the seat and in decent shape so they went on,I tried to find the spears that go on each side of the trunk lock but never could find a decent set of used ones and all the ones in the junkyard were shot. I can post some pics if you need to see what they look like.
Yes that would be great if you have pics you could share! Then I need to see if I can track some down somewhere! Thanks!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The manual helped identify the emblems I need to look for, however I'm still perplexed about the trunk emblem or rather emblems that may have been only custom 500, as the manual shows it as standard for having the single F O R D letter emblems on the trunk. The holes on my trunk do not line up with this so I am wondering if another emblem could have been on there, or even two emblems? Does anyone have ideas? It ha two holes on the far right and then on the far left it has the same holes but opposite. Any insights would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The easiest way out of this is to find someone with a 65/72 MPC on disc that can print out the correct page MOLDING ILL for the year and trim level (SERIES and TRIM CODES) of the car.

My 65/ MPC is on microfiche.

That page will show you an overall ILL, plus PN's and attachment PN's.

The SHOP MANUAL is good but not as comprehensive. Or you need to find an ASSEMBLY MANUAL.

·
Registered
18 Posts
MPC pages and another piece of Ford literature. Your car should have the FORD letters and the Red/White/Blue crest (highlighted in yellow). The other crest is the black/satin one for the Galaxie 500, XL, and LTD. The spears were optional. Your car may have had a dealer badge screwed in by the dealer. Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have located the custom 500 emblem thankfully but am very perplexed about the trunk emblem. See picture I posted of one side of the trunk and the holes present. It doesn't appear that it said f o r d ... Could it be anything else? Also I am wondering mainly, no where on the car does it say "g a l a x I e " was there anywhere on the 65 custom 500 4 doors that it said galaxie on the exterior?

Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
965 Posts
My custom 500 just has Ford letters on the trunk and a couple for a dealer emblem,I thought mine had holes for the spears but filled in so I will have to check again. The galaxies just had the Ford letters on the hood and trunk too and just had galaxie emblems on the front fenders if my memory is correct.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
My custom 500 just has Ford letters on the trunk and a couple for a dealer emblem,I thought mine had holes for the spears but filled in so I will have to check again. The galaxies just had the Ford letters on the hood and trunk too and just had galaxie emblems on the front fenders if my memory is correct.
Thanks! Mine is missing any holes on the front fender and doesn't appear as though there were any filled and on the trunk there are two holes on each side which all just perplexed me! So Thanks for the feedback! Totally appreciate it Junkyard Jeff!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MPC pages and another piece of Ford literature. Your car should have the FORD letters and the Red/White/Blue crest (highlighted in yellow). The other crest is the black/satin one for the Galaxie 500, XL, and LTD. The spears were optional. Your car may have had a dealer badge screwed in by the dealer. Hope this helps
This is very helpfulZ, thank you so much!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.