Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking up the original ford numbers for outside mirrors I note the same number for 67-68 Ford Full Size and Mustangs. Just a difference in the ending letter.

As this can mean quite a bit, I need some help.

Is this outside mirror:

Outside Rear View Mirror Assembly - Left - Rectangular Head - Remote Control - Gasket Included - Mercury - MAC's Antique Auto Parts

"the same" as these mirrors:

C8AZ-17696-ER Mustang Show Quality Remote Mirror Driver Side 1968 | CJ Pony Parts

http://www.autokrafters.com/v4/go.g...products&show_product_id=740922&product=27571

????

They seem the same, the only difference, is them charging us full size guys a heck of a lot more for the same mirror with a slightly different number.

Have you ever seen the Mustang version? Is the head smaller? Are the mounting points different?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
A vendor cannot use the original FORD PN unless the reproduction part has been approved by FORD. So you will see a bunch of close numbers.

The 68 FORD and MUST are the same (driver's remote) C8AZ 17682-D.

C8AZ 17682-ER is not a correct number (Suffix E) and the Suffix R is inferring repro.

The PN C80Z 17682-C is actually a FAIRLANE PN.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A vendor cannot use the original FORD PN unless the reproduction part has been approved by FORD. So you will see a bunch of close numbers.

The 68 FORD and MUST are the same (driver's remote) C8AZ 17682-D.

C8AZ 17682-ER is not a correct number (Suffix E) and the Suffix R is inferring repro.

The PN C80Z 17682-C is actually a FAIRLANE PN.
Thanks! I was hoping they were the same. The Mustang version is much cheaper.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks! I was hoping they were the same. The Mustang version is much cheaper.
full size owners constantly get thrown over the barrel on repro parts. Many of the other more popular models have the exact same parts, yet most vendors relish in overcharging US.

hell a " trunk bar rattle" thingamabobber, which is reality is a 6 inch piece of rubber 1/4" tubing goes for 16 bucks. its like 1.95 to just get a small length of tube at pep boys instead. i wont even go into the weatherstripping.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I've had two repop mirrors made by Scott Drake. The first one the chrome went bad in less than a year. Dearborn Classics warrantied it. The replacement mirror the chrome is going bad and it's about 2 years old. The car is inside a garage and only outside when I go to a show or cruise. Both mirrors were waxed when installed and waxed a couple of times after that. I think both were made in China. Too bad we can't get good chrome anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts