Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am in the process of gathering parts for my new 392 and I need some experienced help in selecting the proper cam for this engine.

Here is the specs and intended use.

.030 351W roller block(not sure of the year)
Scat 3.85 crank
Ported and shaved (.050)Twisted Wedge heads
Eagle H beam rods
Twisted Wedge forged 302 pistons
Edelbrock Victor Intake
Demon 750 carb.
The engine will have a 175hp nitrous plate on it as well.
The car will run on race gas most if not all of the time.

The car(90 Lincoln mark VII) weighs 3850 now with the 306 in it and has a toploader 4 speed and King Cobra clutch(3rd one in 6 months...it doesn't like the weight of this car)and 4.10 gears.I am switching to a Tremec 5 speed with a Ram dual disc clutch and aluminum flywheel that came out of our pro mod(read free).

I want to keep the rpm's below 6500 and run high tens on the jug.The car traps 110 now with the 302 and toploader combo that I had been running.I switched to the Tremec for the 3.27 first gear and OD which I sorely missed with the toploader.The car is driven very little on the street but is street legal.I want to keep it like that at least for a little while.I basically need help in selecting a cam that is optimized for the nitrous and heavy weight of the car.
Thanks guys,
Dave

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I'd say around 238-242 @ 0.050" on the intake, up to 10 more on the exhaust with a 110 degree lobe seperation angle.

It probably won't want to turn much (if any) higher than 6000rpm. You're around the limit of those heads at that rpm with your displacement.

The smallish cam's minimal overlap will work well with the nitrous. Don't go too large on the cam with your combination of engine/vehicle weight.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I will mention again that the 392 ford crate motor put out 462 hp on the dyno with a 750 demon. With ARF 185's milled down to 54 cc chambers(the crate heads have 64 cc chambers) same motor went 537 hp on the dyno!!! ported TW's will do better then the factory GT40X heads. With at least 10.5 compression and a cam similar to the crate motors I dont see why 480 to even 500 hp isnt possible. In fact Im gonna build the same combo and even use a hyd flat tappet. Like Mike says it gonna be a 6000 rpm engine any way and hyd flat tappets can do that all day long. This is the cam Im pretty much settled on: PowerMax H-238/3347-2-10

http://www.cranecams.com/master/apps/ford21.htm#6.%20PowerMax

mine will see more street then strip though

1 - 4 of 4 Posts