Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped in a fuel injected 5.0 w/aod into my 65 last winter and drove it all this summer with just rear air shocks and beefier front springs. Unfortunately two weeks ago I killed the front suspension and my right front tire is leaning in like crazy. The plan this winter is to put V8 suspension into it and disk brakes.

What I need to know is where can I find an affordable( <$1000) kit that will work with some kind of disk brakes? I've called all the people I got resto parts from and they give me some BS or tell me granada brakes wont work. How are all you guys using granada brakes with your V8 stuff? They dont even have to be granada, just some kind of front disks. Please someone walk me through this and tell me what I need. I've searched for it constantly and it seems like I get a lot of conflicting information. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This Granada swap is the simplest swap out there and very popular. So popular try and find a Granada or Monarch in your local boneyard with it's front suspension intact. You won't and why because they are using them for these swaps. So don't let anyone say to you they won't work because many a Falcon man does this. So how do you attain these spindles? Well they do show up on ebay or try the auto swap meets. Be prepared to spend about $200 for the setup. Here is another website that talks the talk of this swap.

http://www.fordfalcon2000.com/restoration/diskbrakes.htm

I have also heard of a bracket kit that allows a front disc brake swap and it uses your own spindles for those purist at heart in the event you sell the car and want to return to the drum setup. I'll look for that and post it when I find it.
Ben

·
Registered
681 Posts
my 68 falcon has 69 cougar spindles.
and a booster and master from a montego.
all the exact same stuff my falcon would of had if it was factory.
i just striped a 69 ranchero my freind was getting rid of.
i got complete power steering disc brake spindles and master with booster and proportioning valve and a 9" rear cheap.
i have another falcon i just got a 67 to recieve all the parts.
i dont know if this stuff would fit your car but its out there if you look.

i wonder if that old powersteering is worth puting in it worked a couple years ago.

68 falcon fact ac

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 68sportcoup on 10/4/06 5:18am ]</font>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey there, First post on here. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to help out a fellow Buckeye Falcon owner

I am using a 68' Mustang front spindle set up. In my case I had to use the 68' tie rod end but the 65' V-8 ball joints bolt right up. You can also use the 68-73 Mustang set up but will probably have to use the tie rod end from the donor car. Hope this helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ranchman on 10/4/06 7:08pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ranchman on 10/4/06 7:09pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I put 73 Mustang disk brakes on my 64 Falcon. I bought the spindles off Ebay about three years ago. I bought new rotors and brake lines from Mustangs Unlimited and the loaded calipers from Auto Zone. I used the 73 tie rods.
What I have found is that any of the smaller and intermediate fords will interchange. Falcon, Mustang, Cougar, Maverick, Granada, Fairlane and possibly many more. So you can go to all those sights and look for parts. You will need the Falcon center link.
When I did my brakes, I searched the entire NW Pennsylvania area with no luck, I didn't know at the time a friend of mine has a 85 V8 Granada siting in a field next to his house. What a bummer.

A lot of hot rod builders are also using the Granada spindles.

If I had it to do over again, considering all that I have spent
on the new suspension, steering, and brakes I would have gone with the MII front end.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retyler on 10/5/06 8:38am ]</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts