Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a line on a couple of 8.8 inch rears out of Explorers, 2 are drum brake, one is disc. All three are 3.73:1 & have Traction Lock. All three tags read 3L73 & I can get any one for $175. I've tried to research installing one of these in an old Ford (mine's a 66 Ranchero) & haven't found much info. One Fella named Doogie was putting one in a 67 Mustang, but had to back off because the pinion offset interfered with his exhaust.

Where the driveshaft attaches to the rear is about 4 inches offset to the left (I think). Is the drivetrain in an Explorer offset, or is the driveshaft mounted at an angle from the trans to the rear. Can this be made to work with a 'hot' street setup. Any advice is much appreciated. If I'm going to get it, I need to get it home, cleaned up & hidden before my wife gets home from Tx.

Thanks in advance, Rick

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
I haven't done any Explorer rear ends yet, but they are probably offset. Any rear end that is not centered will not work well in a '66 Ranchero as the driveshaft will probably hit the tunnel. I would say that 1" is the most that you can stray from a centered pinion, maybe 2", but I am not sure. $175.00 is still a good deal because you can have the housing shortened, and order new axles to make it work in your Ranchero. The 8.8 is becoming a great alternative to the 9" as they are very strong, plentiful, lighter, they are cheap, and you can get lots of parts for them. I've built them for all the early style Fords with great success.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
F-15, I appreciate your input. Explorer rears are popular w/ the Jeep crowd, but just haven't read much about putting one in an old Ford.

Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts