Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been going on since i bought the car but now it has suddenly worsened. On a cold morning when going to work, when i first crank the car up and start down the road the check engine light will start to go on and off occasionally. During this time the motor is about 1/2 warmed up and the engine will pop through the intake and sometimes the pipes. Once the motor warms up, the light will stay on and the motor runs perfect! Also when the light is going on and off, if you give it about half gas it will hesitate for about 3-4 seconds and then take off. Also their is a strong rich burning of gas smell from the exhaust system. Any help is greatly appreciated. Hope you all can help. THanks!!!

Oh, the car is reletively stock except for underdrive pullies, k&n filter, H Pipe, flowmasters, and better plugs and wires.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm not sure about Mustangs, but on my old 90 Bronco, I remember reading in the manual that if the check engine light comes and goes, the computer is trying to reset itself. I'm guessing you're computer needs to be re-programmed (if it can) or be replaced. Usually a mechanic can hook it up to a diagnostic computer and re-program it, though. Just a thought.

·
Registered
169 Posts
First, unhook the battery for an hour or so, that should reset the computer.
Drive for a little bit, then see what codes you can get out of it.

Almost sounds like a Throttle position sensor problem.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My 89 Tbird 3.8 does the same thing on cold
days when it gets condensation in the EGR
flow sensor line. There's a low spot
in the line where the moisture freezes.
Probably doesn't freeze much in Virginia
though...just a thought.

Bruce from Ninnesota

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bprigge on 3/1/02 7:55pm ]</font>

·
Registered
30 Posts
On 2002-03-01 05:08, SawBones25 wrote:
First, unhook the battery for an hour or so, that should reset the computer.
Drive for a little bit, then see what codes you can get out of it.

Almost sounds like a Throttle position sensor problem.
I think your answer is right here...
The check engine light is on due to an error code being stored in the EEC
Follow the directions above and you should find your problem quickly

·
Registered
355 Posts
You might want to check your wires and spark system. Heat will evaporate water condensation that might be causing spark to ground out before the plug. The backfires sound like unspent fuel igniting in your exhaust which means you are getting fuel and air, just not a spark to ignite in the cylinder.

Easy check is to run the car in a dark garage (with plenty of ventilation) and look for blue corona or spark where it shouldn't be. The problem should be worse at higher throttle as the denser mixture needs higher voltage to produce a spark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts