Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to figure out why smoke keeps on coming out of my exhaust after the car is warm. I initially thought that water/coolant was getting into my cylinders (since the smoke seemed white in color) but the coolant level hasn't changed at all since i filled it up 2 months ago. HOWEVER, oil seems to be disappearing without any sort of leakage anywhere. I also noticed that my dist. coil has been leaking through the front (terminal) What should i be checking for? Would oil produce a light smoke? How fast (if at all) should oil be burning? Thanks for the help!

·
Programmer
856 Posts
You probably don't want to hear this, but your engine is probably slowly dying. My old 302 was so bad, I'd have to literally give it a quart of oil per gas tank fillup. Enough is enough, so I built a new engine. I've read that if you have to put a quart in per 1000 miles, its time for a rebuild. Smoke that is light blue in color is oil burning. If you don't have a lot of money, you could try replacing your valve seals, which can be the problem sometimes as well...

Chris

·
Registered
440 Posts
My '83 302 HO uses a quart of oil every
300 miles and DOESN'T SMOKE or leak!
I do find a lot of oil in the bottom of the
air cleaner housing though. It comes up the
valve cover breather pipe. I have another
motor almost ready for install though so
I'm not to concerned about it. I am
curious though about whats going on. The motor seems to have a lot of blowby after
its warmed up, more then the pcv system can
handle. There doesn't seem to be any blowby
when its cold, or maybe I just can't see it
because its clear??? Compression checks at
150 all the way around.

Bruce

1 - 3 of 3 Posts