Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost done installing the interior wiring harness in my 1962 Ford Fairlane (221 V8/3-speed standard). The harness that was originally in the car was very butchured, so I am using the interior wiring harness from my low-mileage 1962 Ford Fairlane (221 V8/2-speed auto). Using a hot-wire from the coil to the positive side of the battery I can start the car and use the accessories (wipers, gauge lights, dome light), but the only way I can shut the car off is pulling the hot wire. Without the hot wire there is NO POWER to the interior - dome light does not turn on, the ignition does not work, NOTHING! I'm not sure why it's running with the hot-wire, but will not run without it. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Tom

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Plenty of ideas but only one that matches your problem.

Ignition wiring is mixed up.

The stud in the back of your ignition should have a 12V constant to it I believe.

The Pink resistor wire needs to go to your COIL + out under the hood.

The Pink resistor wire in the dash goes to the RUN position of the ignition.

The Right bank of the starter solenoid has a wire that should go into the harness and end up on the + side of the coil as well, or at least piped into the resistor wire that is going to the coil to provide Cranking voltage to the coil for initial ignition, and it's ONLY active with the solenoid active while the key is in the crank position.

I hope that's the problem you're having and nothing too drastic. That's all Fords I know of from 60 to 70 pretty much...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Do you have the factory wiring diagram, I;ve got a very complete extra one if you need it,
My solution to a problem alott like yours, that is, the car was simply dead when i turned the key, was simply the neutral safelty switch i had neglected to hook up, 2 wires hooked up & she;s alive!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts