Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Finally got everything bolted together on my '64 Galaxie. I went from 4 wheel manual drums to 4 wheel power discs. I'm having problems getting a pedal. Here's what happens:

I'm using a pressure pot bleeder. I bolted it to the top of the dual well master cylinder and pressurized it w/no leaks. The feed outlet was dumping into the master cylinder rear well, although that shouldn't matter, because the rubber gasket has a long slot in it, so it should also pressurize the front well regardless of the position. Started with the pass rear wheel, got a steady stream of brake fluid out of the caliper, same with driver's side.

Front wheels were getting NO fluid at all. I tried swapping around the power bleeder cover so that the feed outlet was dumping into the front well, but there has not been any change.

My system is set up with a power diaphragm, a dual well master cylinder (from a Corvette, I think), and a proportioning valve that has one outlet for the front brakes, and one for the rear. The fronts feed into the factory brass T block that originally had 4 outlets, but I blocked one off with a brass compression plug and used one as a feed inlet and two to feed the front brakes. The rear brake line Ts on the axle, and I used the factory brass T block there as well.

The proportioning valve is non-adjustable, but it does have what appears to be a pressure valve on the front of it. If I depress that valve, the front calipers get fluid.

I've never dealt with a proportioning valve before, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

Chris

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Donot know if this is your problem but inside the proportioning valve if you take it apart is a sleeve that slide back and forth. If say you were hard on the pedal that sleeve can slip to either side stopping the flow to either front or rear. You can take it apart and get that brass tube back in the middle.
If you changed all you stated you could of stopped the flow to front somehow. Someone smarter than I will post .

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Also make sure you got correct mastercylinder to match brakes you have, drums on back and front or disk on front. The line that flows to the back, switch it with the front that does not flow and see if you got front fluid coming then. Something wrong with the front line as you stated on the hook-up to the proportioning valve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts