Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK where would you drill on this pistons to match weigh them. Someone here at F/M said to drill dimples in the bottom of the piston. I have to take 2.7 grams I think off one of them. If you look at the pic you can see some holes already there. Do I drill new holes next to the ones that are already there?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
yeah you can remove weight from the pin bosses. If you look closely you can see two divits where material was removed (not the two holes in the side of the piston, but on top of the wrist pin boss.)

You can also take a ball mill and remove weight straight down in the area where the 2 and 030 is.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I'm with '67--drill the bottom of the pin boss to remove as much weight as possible, but since you're removing so much, you'll end up drilling the bottom of the piston near the "2" and the "030" as well.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Those 2 little holes, 1 on each pin boss, is where the machining fixture aligned the piston during manufacturing. Be VERRY careful not to take so much off that you weaken the pin boss.
F.Y.I,the weight of a 1/4-20 nut made of aluminum is 1 gram.This helps to judge the amount needed to be removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts