Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who has a 4 door 54 ford with an auto tranny. It only goes into reverse. What kind of a tranny is this? Any suggestions on how I could go about fixing this (why will it only go into reverse, will it be hard to do myself or should I take it to a shop)? Any links to parts on the web or just getting a brand new tranny? Will a different tranny swap into it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, here is generic theory question... what causes a tranny to not allow it to go into any gear except reverse. Are we talking dirty filters, bad fluid, messed up internals, all of the above?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I'd check the shift linkage first. If that's ok, it might be the linkage inside the trans itself, or a valvebody problem. Could also be clogged filter. Actually, it could be a million different things, but most likely you will have to pull the pan to locate it. I would do that anyway, if nothing else to just change the fluid (who knows when it was changed last)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, according to my freind it has not been serviced since last memory. It used to work and then just started to have problems after it sat for a year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts