Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem getting my AOD to mate to my 351W. I am using the correct flexplate and the torque converter is fully engaged in the tranny (3 clicks). The converter cannot go any further back or it will hit the bell. When I mate the tranny to the motor and bolt them together, the torque converter studs come all the way through the flexplate. BUT, when I go to turn the motor (BY HAND) over it is very difficult like the converter/flexplate are bound up. I know something is not right but I can't figure out what. I have separated the motor and tranny and am going to try again but am wondering if I am missing some sort of trick or something to help the converter and flexplate mate cleanly. Thanks in advance.
--RICH

·
Registered
304 Posts
maybe it needs to be shimmed/spacer....between the flexplate and tq convertor....ive seen the need for this to be done many times

·
Registered
420 Posts
If the converter is correct, and it is seated propperly, you should be able to get roughly .100 -.125 cleaeance from the converter mounting pad to flex plate. This is not easy to check with the stock stud type mounts, but with everything mounted up, remove the 4 mounting nut, then see if the converter can slide some towards the pump, and back towards the flex plate. If not, you will wipe out the front pump. If I remember correctly, TCI had a drawing on there web page that showed how to place a straight edge across the bell housing face, then measure to the mounting pads where the studs are. If it is in specs, you will have enough clearance for propper operation and not damage the pump.

I had one converter that was so snug on the splines, the only way I could get it engaged into the pump, was hang the trans on the cherry picker with the tail shaft pointed down, then spin the converter and let it fall into place.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.