Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody install one and can tell me which one they recommend....Also pros cons.....

the c6 i have is being rebuilt and wanted to put a shift kit in at this time...

not a daily driver but a weekend warrior ;)

also gonna go with a 2500 stall converter any recommendations there as well

Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
I picked up a trans go shift kit for my 1966 galaxie from summit. Even though it says 67-7* I'm pretty sure it will fit my c6 transmission. Transgo seems the way to go. I'm also doing a "weekend warrior" build.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked up a trans go shift kit for my 1966 galaxie from summit. Even though it says 67-7* I'm pretty sure it will fit my c6 transmission. Transgo seems the way to go. I'm also doing a "weekend warrior" build.
Nice good luck with your build have you driven the vehicle yet with the shift kit in it?????

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
TCI offers one, B&M transpak, is another, TransGo is another And I am sure most of not all performence trans dealers has shift kits avail.. (IE monster trans, Broader etc)

Just do a net search for c6 shift kits, look for reviews... Just a thought, as there are as many flavors of what kit YOU can live with or want...

HTH,

MRO.....

I cant remember which of the valves/spring assy it is but a back yard "kit" was to use pennies in the valve body to firm the shift. Cant even remember the amount of pennies now either but know it was less than 50cents....

·
Registered
420 Posts
Keep in mind most of them allow some choices within the kit as far as shifting firmness goes. If you have a enough stall, at part throttle the shifts will feel nice and solid, but still smooth if you choose the aggressive option. If not, it might get old having the seat slam you in the back at the 1-2 every stop sign.

2500 rpm converter should be fine at low throttle shifts, but will hit nice and hard when you get cranking. 2 shift tire chirp is fun in an automatic!

·
Registered
25 Posts
@19galaxie68xl
I have yet to put it in its with my pile of parts im buying at home in anticipation for warm weather haha. It will be the first thing i do once i get the insurance back on it. I'll probably pay someone to do it, i also need the speedometer calibrated since the 3.89 gears have been put in. After it's installed, the only mods to the drivetrain will be the gears and the carburetor. If i remember i will update here when i get it done with my views on the shift kit. REALLY EXCITED... yet i'm really upset as i look at the snow falling outside of the window... :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep in mind most of them allow some choices within the kit as far as shifting firmness goes. If you have a enough stall, at part throttle the shifts will feel nice and solid, but still smooth if you choose the aggressive option. If not, it might get old having the seat slam you in the back at the 1-2 every stop sign.

2500 rpm converter should be fine at low throttle shifts, but will hit nice and hard when you get cranking. 2 shift tire chirp is fun in an automatic!

That is exactly what i am looking for the 2 shift tire chirp :tup: in my automatic!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im also looking for a 9" posi unit with 350 or 389 gears 28 spline....

If anybody knows of one for sale..

vallagard where you from my brother

·
Registered
408 Posts
I used a B&M shift improver on the C6 in my 75 Torino and used the strip setting and it shifted good and hard behind a stock 302. It softened up a bit once I put in the 347 and 2500 stall but still bit on hard throttle.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
is that a good street kit
Good anything kit. There are 6 levels to choose from.
I run level 2 in my truck and 3 in the car.

Technically you could install it as a level 2, and if it isn't hard enough, you can move it higher. (can't go lower due to the need to drill holes).

·
Registered
718 Posts
Anybody install one and can tell me which one they recommend....Also pros cons.....

the c6 i have is being rebuilt and wanted to put a shift kit in at this time...

not a daily driver but a weekend warrior ;)

also gonna go with a 2500 stall converter any recommendations there as well

Thanks in advance,
Mike
I would not put the 2500 converter in it unless you need it because of a camshaft that makes no bottom end power. The converter will take away from the shift firmness. If you are running a stock cam, run the stock converter.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I would still do it personally. It might soften the light shifts, but shortly after flash stall there will be virtually no slippage in the converter. That would give him both worlds, soft driving shifts, hard stompin' it shifts. Even with the stock cam it will improve the launch by raising the flash point. Like popping the clutch in a stick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts