Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1983 Ford LTD wagon with a 302 V-8.

It has Duraspark 3 ignition and a fuel injector carburetor.

In my opinion the Duraspark 3 ignition is junk designed by a GM engineer who managed to sneak into Ford as a saboteur. It might run OK when all the sensors are functioning abosulutely perfectly, but not otherwise. You can't even rotate the distributor, and there is no mechanical or vacuum advance.

I am getting a lot of carbon in the cylinders and very poor gas milage. Also getting very unacceptable performance. The only time the engine shows what it is capable of is when I am pulling a heavily loaded trailer. Without the trailer the engine's power output and acceleration are unacceptable.

I want to gut the Duraspark 3 out and install a Duraspark 2 distributor and module.

I have Duraspark 2 in my 1977 400 engine and I wouldn't trade it: that one was designed by a Ford engineer.

My questions are, is the distributor drive gear and gear position on the shaft the same between Duraspark 2 and Duraspark 3 ignitions, and are there any other technical concerns with this alteration? (We don't have emissions laws here... but actually the thing should produce less emissions with a Duraspark 2 than it puts out now...)

I know there used to be a brain upgrade in JC Whitney but this would be cheaper, and I can fine tune it as I see fit. I have nothing against computers, but I don't want one controlling my ignition system

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FekLar on 4/11/02 8:06pm ]</font>

·
Registered
809 Posts
Am I correct in assuming you are planning on keeping the fuel injection? If so it there must be a signal(will require some rewiring, but you are in for that anyway) sent to the computer from the distributor or it won't know to fire the injectors.

Ford does not have a set place to install the pin in the distributor shaft. Once the gear is correctly located the assembly is drilled. So some have the pin higher, centered differently than others. You are gonna need a earlier distributor.

I know you don't want to hear this, but I would trouble shoot the EFI system. Likely you have a bad sensor or fuel pressure regulator causing your problems. I doubt the problem is spark related at all. And why can't you adj the dist?? With the sprout connector out, the timing sets just like any other engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to keep the fuel injection if there is a place there on the carb to hook up the vacuum advance for the Duraspark II. If there isn't any place, I suppose I would have to go back to a 2 bbl carb.

Where would I find the signal to send to the carb? I would think that splitting the signal from the distributor wouldn't work right. Does the signal go from the dist to the module and then from the an output on the module to the carb?

Will a Duraspark II distributor hook right up to a Duraspark III ignition control module?

The symptoms are lack of power, excessive gas consumption, carboning up in the cylinders, and sometimes a low idle. It acts to me like retarded timing, because if it was too rich wouldn't it idle too fast rather than too slow?

There is a tang on the distributor shaft that mates with a boss on the engine block. The tang fits into the boss and locks the distributor into a set position, and there is no way to rotate the distributor as a result? How exactly is the timing set? I would love to advance it about two degrees, would likely fix the whole problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts