Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 mustang with originally with a 6cyl. For reasons which arent important now, i switch to a V8 and now back to the 6. As far as the electrical system goes, the only real difference is where the ground wires are mounted since its a different motor. I have the negative battery cable running directly to on of the bolts holding the motor mount to the motor directly into the block. The alternator ground is also there and they crushed between two clean washers. Then i have a ground wire from the back of the motor (one of the extra bellhousing holes) (its a dual bolt pattern block) to a point on the firewall. Then the basic positive wire hookup to the solenoid then down to the starter. Everything was working fine a week ago with the other motor. Now, whenever i try to start it, it acts as though the battery is almost dead (its currently on the charger). If i crank it for long the post on the solenoid where the starter wire is starts to smoke. The really weird thing is, when i disconnect the positive cable from the battery, the cable will spark if it hits any metal as if its storing energy from the battery. Could this be that the ground isnt good enough or could it be a prob with the solenoid or starter. Hopefully someone can help

·
Registered
91 Posts
Make sure you have the correct two wires on the Solenoid switch. Switch them and see if that helps. Is the negative part of the battery directly grounded to the firewall?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like your starter is drawing too much current or your solenoid is failing. To check the solenoid connect a voltmeter across the 2 large solenoid lugs. you should read full battery voltage, now have a friend crank the engine and see where the voltage is. If it is more than 1/2 a volt then the solenoid is bad. Also use this method to check all connections in the circuit. If all checks out ok then make sure the starter is mounted properly if so try a new one. The sparking after disconnect leads me to believe you have audio amps in the car that can store alot of power. This is normal if thats the case

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good call on the amp thing. I do have an amp and i noticed that the positive cable didnt spark anymore after i took the fuse out. should have done that in the beginning, hope i didnt ruin the amp. anyway. the battery negative cable goes directly from the battery to the motor and i cant think of any reason why the grounds are no good. the battery is now charged and i just replaced the solenoid with a new one i had. still the same problem which leads me to believe its the brand new KRAGEN starter. It would make sense since everything else worked on the other motor a week ago. i will go exchange the starter tomorrow. i should have known. A couple years back i had to change the Kragen starter 2 to 3 times before i got one that worked on another one of my cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts