Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys......... 1st post and many more to come I'm sure. :) I picked up a 65 Galaxie 500 2 door today. Tires are shot. Going to order some wheels and tires tomorrow. Looking at the Torq Thrust wheels. I'm going with the 15x8 with the 4.5" BS all around. For the rear tires I'd like to go with 255/60/15. Now is where I need help. I read where a member used the 255/60/15 in front but had to use a 1/4" space to keep the tires from rubbing. What size tire would you recommend I go with to avoid that problem? I don't mind going with the smaller tire up front "look" as long as its tasteful. Just want to get a good tire match. ;) If the following above don't work, Im all in for suggestions on tire sizes. Such as maybe 225/60/15 all the way around? Can I go with the 255/60 in the rear and 225/60 up front?
Thanks....

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
My fronts have a 3.5" backspace with a 225 tire. The tire has 1 3/8" of space on the inside and occasionally hits the inner fender on the outside. Or course I ride a little lower than original stock after 50 years. I think a 4.0" BS should be just about perfect if you want a 255 tire. Fot the 225's, go ahead and order the 4.5 BS rims, or get the 255's and just be prepared to add a 1/2" spacer if necessary.

I think a 4.5" BS and 255's will work fine on the rears. However you should measure what is on there now, or test fit your new fronts back there and order based on that. No reason you have to order all four at once, is there? On many Gals including mine the rear end slides to one side as the bushings wear or the car sags. So the calcualtion back there gets kind of personal, that is, what works on one car might not on another.

Let's have a pic of your ride!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Puttster, Thanks for the reply........ Did more reading/searching and found where a member recommended to another to maybe go with a 235/60 on the front and 255/60 on the rear..... maybe somebody will chime in on this size set up.....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Puttster, Thanks for the reply........ Did more reading/searching and found where a member recommended to another to maybe go with a 235/60 on the front and 255/60 on the rear..... maybe somebody will chime in on this size set up.....
I ran 245/60 fronts and 255/60 rears on 15x8s with 4.5" of BS front and rear. no rubbing, no issues.

Now I'm Running 255/45r18s front and 295/45r18s rear. no rubbing and I'm lowered substantially.

It really all comes down to setting your suspension where you'd like it to be, then measuring. Then measure some more.

Then step away for a few days, come back and measure again.

backspacing/offset is the key. The wells are pretty big on a gal. On the rears with a little flare and some rolling I think you could shoehorn 315s in there. any wider and I feel like you'd have to notch the framerails so it didnt look goofy or run a wider axle with more offset.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Zomb, it that on a 65 or a 66?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Good looking ride there Wood :tup:..... Wish i could find all my wheels/rings thats on your car now... (had a whole set and they have seemed to have gotten 'lost-scattered') :(

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Holy smokes Woodie, that is a fine looking coupe!

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Thanks to all that replied. Went with the 235/60 up front and 255/60 in the rear. (On order.)

Puttster, Put a pic of my car in the picture thread:
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/497054-post-pics-your-galaxies-43.html#post1709063
Post number 642.
That's what I put on my 64 2 door. I have 15x 7 235/60/15 on the front and 15 x8 255/60/15 on the back . Only thing I had to do is let almost all the air out of the back tires to get them on !
Enjoy your new ride Woody !

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hmmm I suppose most dont try to use a bumper jack? id think jacking the body up with a Bumper jack would create the separation needed to put the fats on the rear, but maybe not...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts