Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

Im having some issues with my Falcon. when i start it up it idles very high, and seems to stay pretty high when it gets warm. But when i put it in drive, it drop to a good idle, about 600 to 650. ive tried about 10 times to adjust the timing. It has a stage 2 cam, and its bored out to a 301. I received this car like this already so i cant tell you what the lobe degree is. the PVC on the carb is plugged, and the other vacuum lines have no leaks. The electronic idle on the carb is not hooked up. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

·
Registered
63 convertable
848 Posts
can you lower the idle when not in gear? if the throttle plates are closed and it won't idle down you have a vacuum leak. P.S. unplug the pcv valve. no reason to ever plug it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i cant lower the idle when its not in gear. and when i plug that valve it drop the idle as well.So i left it plugged. i may be mistaking this pcv valve with something else. if your facing the front of the falcon looking at the motor, its on the passengers side on the bottom of the carb.

·
Registered
25 Posts
570 Holley I had on my 302 had 2 large vacuum port fittings each under fuel bowls 1 PVC 1 power brakes

·
Registered
63 convertable
848 Posts
the big hose that goes to the valve cover is going to the pcv valve in the valve cover

·
Registered
63 convertable
848 Posts
the hose in your hand looks to be the vacuum modulator hose, the one in your finger is vacuum advance, and should not have vacuum at idle, the modulator hose should not change the way the engine runs if you block it off

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so its routed correctly? i think i found the issue though. the idle plate on the main side of the carb is basically just flopping around

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so if the plate is messed up, are there replacement parts for a holly carb, or should i just replace the whole thing with a new one

·
Registered
231 Posts
They do make replacement throttle shafts, I imagine you could easily get the butterflies too. You need to figure out if the screws came loose (or fell out!) and see what condition the threads are in.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You can find throttle plates. But if you're not in a big hurry, contact Holley and they might just fix it for you, for a price of course.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You probably have found the problem but I would check the pcv valve just to make sure it is working. It comes from your valve cover to the back of your carb. I would just replace it, they are cheap. I have seen where a pcv can mess up the running of a car if it is not working right.

·
Registered
147 Posts
if you start the car and spray the throtle shaft where it goes into the primary plate and the rpm reacts the throtle shaft bushings are shot, there is a repair kit from holley, basicaly you drill out the throttle shaft bushings tap in the replacement bushings, this is a notorious problem on holleys with age

·
Registered
419 Posts
if you start the car and spray the throtle shaft where it goes into the primary plate and the rpm reacts the throtle shaft bushings are shot, there is a repair kit from holley, basicaly you drill out the throttle shaft bushings tap in the replacement bushings, this is a notorious problem on holleys with age
Not so much age but alum base with steel shafts rubbing and you need to have dual return springs opposite of each other so the tension of the shaft is equal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts