Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm having a lot of trouble finding a master cylinder for my 69 351. My ports are on the right side (facing the engine) of my master cylinder and all I can find is masters with ports on the left. Needless to say my brake lines will not reach and wrap around to the left side of the master. I've tried looking at Mustang masters as well and they're the same. Surely someone else has replaced their master. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I may attempt to just rebuild it, but the piston is seized so I expect the bore to be at least somewhat pitted once I'm able to get the piston out. I have power drum front/rear.

I've attempted to email both Dearborn classics and Mac's, and both emails were returned undeliverable due to bad email addresses.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
You could send your MC out for rebuilding. It may be easier to extend your hard lines to plumb to the fender side ports of the more commonly available parts. You should be able to get lengths of brake line at the parts store with the correct fittings and just bend to suit. Another suggestion would be to visit your local parts wholesalers and see if they can find the correct replacement. If you can take your part with you it would help them. They could probably help you getting yours rebuilt as they return cores all the time, so they should know the rebuilders.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You could also purchase an aftermarket master cylinder such as Wilwood which has ports on both the left and right allowing you to use whichever side you need.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I guess I should read a little more of the OP. As far as I know the differences would be a larger section for the front disks and no residual pressure valve. The master cylinder should work if a valve was installed for the front drum brakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts