Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,im new to ford so i dont know alot about switching parts,I want to put in a posi rearend,wondering if i could use a 80s,90s 5.0 posi.Drum brakes for know.And also what mods can I do to the engine heads? I mean swap em out 302 ect...I want to make it a stroker later so i want the parts to be reused.how much power coud I get out of it..It has a c4 auto 3sp,Do you think a b&m starglide would be good or rachet???The trans is at the shop being beefed up, want to put 4:11 gears in the back...Any comments would be helpfull Thanks again....

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The 8.8 from later model Mustangs are coil sprung so you would have to cut the old mounts off and weld leaf perches on. You'd probably be better off finding a 9" that will bolt right in. Stu

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanks fo the reply,what is a 9" rear end and what car or truck would have it?I also heard a certin lincoln has a posi that bolts right up do you guys no anything about that,Also wahts a good shifter???Thanks again

·
Registered
659 Posts
I like my B&M Hammer shifter.
Granda rear's 8 or 9 will bolt into the early mustangs
You could take and weld your tubes onto a 9 inch housing.
That is what i am gonna do.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
On 2006-06-19 22:48, derekdigler wrote:
cool thanks fo the reply,what is a 9" rear end and what car or truck would have it?I also heard a certin lincoln has a posi that bolts right up do you guys no anything about that,Also wahts a good shifter???Thanks again
The Lincoln Versaille use a 9" with disk brakes. They were mainly sought after for the disk setup. They are not the best swap anymore for disks.
Basically '67 up Mustangs/Cougars with big blocks or at least 351's in them came with 9" rear ends that will straight swap into your car. Intermediate Fords and Mercs used them too but the width may be too wide for the early stang...not sure

BTW "posi" is a GM term, Ford is Trak Lok ( but we know what you mean!)

Google "nine inch ford" and you'll find lots of info on the web.

Sorry, I have no opinions on shifters..
Stu

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
The Lincoln Versaille use a 9" with disk brakes. They were mainly sought after for the disk setup. They are not the best swap anymore for disks.
Basically '67 up Mustangs/Cougars with big blocks or at least 351's in them came with 9" rear ends that will straight swap into your car.
67 and up mustang rear end will bolt in but it is 2" wider than a 65/66 rear end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool thanks for the replys,how hard is to convert my on rearend to a 9 inch,what car or truck would be good donor?year make...also will a 302 fit pretty good or could I get more out of the 289 thanks alot........

·
Registered
743 Posts
dont know anything about converting the rearends.
But, 289 and 302 are same block size. I believe you can spin a 289 higher, but dont quote me on it. Then again, theres more parts for 302s out there than you can shake 3 sticks at.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
On 2006-06-26 09:10, pass1over wrote:
dont know anything about converting the rearends.
But, 289 and 302 are same block size. I believe you can spin a 289 higher, but dont quote me on it. Then again, theres more parts for 302s out there than you can shake 3 sticks at.
289 and 302 use the same accessories. The blocks are basically interchangeable.

·
Registered
743 Posts
actually, the cylinder wall is deeper on a 302 .. but variations in casting can change this a lot
there are bellhousing difference between the early 289s and the 302s. some of the 289s are 5 bolt, but after 65 (i think) their all 6 bolt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kool thanks guys, the shop here in town said the could resize a 9 inch from another car truck for 225-250.Thats me getting one for them and striping it first...Then the axecls bearings would cost another 425.00 new???That sounds pretty high???Any ways any info would be good.By the way how much power do you think I could get out of a stroker 289???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts