Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I need some qualified benchracing help here. I'm presently build a 408 stroker to drive my 83GT into the 130+mph trap speed range. C/R is 10.7 to 1. The car weighs 3050lbs. I'm looking at a set of TFS "R" heads right now and looking to spend at or about 2 grand for some sort of STAGED/PORTED worked heads. I'm being shown by a couple of computer dyno's that I'm gonna need somewhere in the neighborhood of 550+ HP.

Though I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the TFS"R" heads. What other head is out there that'll support this type of HP in this price range??

Thanks for any and all comments!

-PONY1

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes what I'm reading the flow numbers only tell half the story. After reading a buildup of the TFS"R" heads, thats what I was going for. http://www.trickflow.com/articles/stroker_2/at_st_2_body.htm

Since then though I've been looking at the Canfield heads also. They flow nice numbers also. But again it is the entire combination that really excels here, not just the heads.
Since I'm going keep this motor on 93 PUMP I've got to keep the C/R down but, because I'm running a Gforce 5 speed I plan on turning to about 7000RPM using a solid roller. Hopefully things will work out all be will be good. Thanks for your input!

-Gregg

·
Registered
57 Posts
My friend had a a 12.5:1 421 stroker from a 351 built about 4 years ago. Just dropping on the Twisted Wedge heads he was running on a 302 and a comp cams hydraulic 305 (i think the .050 is about 235 or so - kinda smallish for that kind of cubes) Victor Jr. intake, and a Holley HP 850, he made 503 hp and 510 ft lbs of torque. Plans were to upgrade to a larger mechanical cam, and larger heads later, but he ended up selling the car. He was running in the 10's, but i dont' know the best et. I would think that a decent sized cam, and a set of heads approaching 300 cfm on the intake would certainly hit the 550 mark. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On 2002-02-20 08:18, musthave302 wrote:
My friend had a a 12.5:1 421 stroker from a 351 built about 4 years ago. Just dropping on the Twisted Wedge heads he was running on a 302 and a comp cams hydraulic 305 (i think the .050 is about 235 or so - kinda smallish for that kind of cubes) Victor Jr. intake, and a Holley HP 850, he made 503 hp and 510 ft lbs of torque. Plans were to upgrade to a larger mechanical cam, and larger heads later, but he ended up selling the car. He was running in the 10's, but i dont' know the best et. I would think that a decent sized cam, and a set of heads approaching 300 cfm on the intake would certainly hit the 550 mark. Hope that helps.

Yea one thing I noticed today while playing around with a computer engine dyno was that the stock Victor Jr. is hurting the engine. I think a step up to the super victor is in order for the added inches. Its needed to help push the MAX hp possible UP in the power band there by resulting in more overall HP too. According to the desktop dyno's this motor is moving quite a bit of air about 5500 RPM's. Thanks for reply BTW!

-Gregg

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On 2002-02-20 08:18, chilly460 wrote:
Yeah, there are so many heads out there it's a tough call. I know Canfield are used at the track quite a bit, especially with power adders. The raised exhaust port lets the exhaust really work. They also sell a CNC ported version directly from the factory, I think that would be the minimum needed to support your motor to 7000rpm.

I wouldn't give up on the TFS Rs, just do some checking around at local race shops, tracks to see what people are saying about them. Victor Jr is also a good head to start with, it just needs to have the ports finished by hand to give the clean flow necessary. For the price, they're an excellent head for a 408.
After reading a few websites and reading more mag adds, its looks like any Head with 225ccIntake/320CFM flow volume is the area I'm looking for. Hopefully this coupled with an Intelligent camshaft profile I think I'll be able to accomplish my goals. Thanks for all your help!

-Gregg

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow up to a 2yr old post and probably my 1st one here. weekend before last I took my car out to Gulfport Dragway for a day of some racing fun. The car's been running since November 02. Time sure flys when your having fun~!!!!!!

Mission Accomplished -Gulfport Dragway, On pump gas while running a great friend of mine my 408 went 130.7 mph on pump gas. ET is still being sorted out 10.53 but the power is there. Ironicly I've pulled the heads off last tuesday for a T.E.A. CNC porting of the Trickflow "R" heads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts