Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I need help with my steering box and column bearing.

1. I have my column out and the box is loose. How do I slide the box out from underneath the car? Do I jack the car up as high as I can and try to slide it out? My car has a 200 6 cylinder and no brake booster, so will it slide out under the engine mount?

2. I didn't think to mark the pitman arm location in relation to the shaft, but I think I'll be ok as long as I center the steering box and make sure the wheels are straight when I reinstall, right?

3. I need to replace the steering column bearing, but I can't find one anywhere. Will one from a Mustang work? I found one on Dennis-Carpenter.com, but it doesn't look anything like what I have. Mine is a bearing pressed into the section where the turn signal mechanism is located, and there's a metal cup that slips over it. Any ideas?

If anyone has done this job, please chime in. If the box isn't rebuildable (the car came with a rebuild kit from chokostang, so I'm not out anything if the box isn't servicable).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Falcon bearing should work fine.

Pull pitman (it's indexed an only goes on one way)

Pull column sleeve, raise car about 3 feet and block....

Pull steering box and shaft out.
Thanks man, I appreciate the help. I was just trying to figure out last night how in the world the box and shaft are going to slide out. But, I have the car up on ramps, so I think when I jack it up it will allow the suspension to relax and give me more room.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Falcon bearing should work fine.

Pull pitman (it's indexed an only goes on one way)

Pull column sleeve, raise car about 3 feet and block....

Pull steering box and shaft out.
Finally time to pull the box out. What I did was pull the box and shaft through the top. It fit right between the engine and shock tower. No way it was going to come through the bottom, as the engine cross member is in the way.

Does anyone know of any good articles on rebuilding the box? I have the basics, I believe. I know there are bearings at front and rear of the box, and two sets of needle bearings top and bottom with a seal. I just can't figure out how to get the shaft out. I believe you remove the lock nut and adjusting nut and then unthread the shaft from the rack block being careful to retain all the ball bearings.

I can't find any good articles on line however. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Finally time to pull the box out. What I did was pull the box and shaft through the top. It fit right between the engine and shock tower. No way it was going to come through the bottom, as the engine cross member is in the way.

Does anyone know of any good articles on rebuilding the box? I have the basics, I believe. I know there are bearings at front and rear of the box, and two sets of needle bearings top and bottom with a seal. I just can't figure out how to get the shaft out. I believe you remove the lock nut and adjusting nut and then unthread the shaft from the rack block being careful to retain all the ball bearings.

I can't find any good articles on line however. Any suggestions?

I agree as I also just pulled mine from the top.. it was a 289 car with the header removed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Falcon bearing should work fine
It does not work. Believe it or not, the Falcon bearing is 1/4 inch bigger. The bearing in my column measures 1 11/16, and the one I ordered from Mac's Auto for a Falcon measures at 1 15/16.

Does anyone know where I can get the appropriate bearing? Surely I'm not the only one in the world that has a Fairlane that needs the upper bearing replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts