Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an old Sun Super Tach II that I want to install in my 66 Galaxie (its an automatic with 428 eng). This model tach has a black wire (goes to ground?), a blue wire (guessing its for the light?), green wire (goes to the coils negative (-) post?), and last a red wire for the power.

Assuming I'm right where these wires go (but please correct me if I'm wrong) I believe the red power wire needs to go to the fuse panel under the dash. My fuse panel has 5 fuses, a dome fuse, a cigarette lighter fuse, a instrument panel fuse, a radio fuse, and one on the very top which I can't read. It also has 2 connection terminals of some sort on the left side that are open.

Can anyone please advise me as to which fuse holder I should connect the tach's red wire too. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Red wire is pwr for the light, tap into any dash light wire.

on edit: my mistake, follow oneblade post, red to ign

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks, I'll try the instrument panel fuse as it seems it is the one that is hot ONLY when the key is on.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Dash lights are not usually a key on source. If you've ever drained a battery after having left the lights on and walked away from the car, you'll remember that. The accessory circuit would be a better choice. BTDT.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that advise. I haven't had time to try installing it yet but since I don't see a fuse marked ACC I might try the cigarette lighter fuse. Are those hot only when the key is on?

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
On a 65 the acc is black-green. powers the radio, wipers and the CVU for the fuel gauge

1 - 10 of 10 Posts