Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm runnig Sealed power hyper pistons with 4-valve relief. I would like to put a hotter cam in but Don't know how much lift I can go before hitting the pistons. I'm running A fms A312 hyd. cam. Would like increase dur and lift to help make the roush 200 head I would like to get flow close to 400 horse.
All I need to know is if the Performer RPM Cam will work, that will give me an Idea of how much lift i can have.
Thanks,

Kyle

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WHITETHUNDER on 4/10/02 3:09am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WHITETHUNDER on 4/10/02 4:56am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You'll have to use the clay method just to be sure. Basically this is how its done, but I'd wait till someone who has actually done this explains how to do it. You take off one head first. You get some clay, and soften it so its like really soft puddy. You put it on the piston face, but really really thin. Place the head back on, and torque it back down and turn the engine over 720 degrees. Take the head back off, and measure the thickness of the clay where the valve came into contact with it. That will give you the accurate thickness and the actual distance between piston and valve. Thats the rough idea of what you'll have to do to be positivitly sure of how much clearace you have to work with.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I ran the Performer RPM cam in my 289 with TRW hipo 289 double eyebrow cut pistons. After the last shave on the heads I had a very small touch on the very top arc of every valve relief. The eyebrows were deep enough but not radiused widely enough for the 1.94 / 1.60 valves. Do the clay. Its the only way to be sure and don't fudge with it. Make sure you have enough side and depth clearance on the valves.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Note.
You will need to use a solid lifter or get a junk hydro lifter take it apart and fill the center with anything that will make it a solid. I used a small nut. Then do the clay thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts