Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ,

I have a 68 302 and a 74 c4 transmission ( trans shop lost my original , gave me this one as a replacement )
Anyway ... I have a new 157 tooth flex plate , a new spacer plate , new factory starter .

When I test fit everything , the starter will not bolt up to the bell. when its lined up with just the spacer plate it will work.

what is the right course action here ?

Like my user name implies , this is my first attempt at this.

David

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Why doesn't the starter bolt up? Do all holes on the plate line up with the bell?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Is the plate bigger or smaller over all than the bell?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you were to take the bell out of the mix , the starter works with the plate . it looks as though it will engage correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Then you have the bigger bell. That one should use a 164 tooth flywheel and plate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So... would the correct course of action be to replace the bell , or replace the flex plate ? and will a 164 tooth bolt to a 65-73 302

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
How does the bell attach to the trans and how does the dip tube attach? Pan or case? Does the plate line up on the trans to engine bolt holes?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bell bolts to the trans , trans has a pan , all of the bolt holes from plate to trans match... except the starter.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
You will need the 164 tooth flywheel 28 oz balance, it will bolt to the 302. Get a plate that matches all the holes and is a two piece plate for the automatics.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
The plates can be had on eBay for about $25 and the flywheels at your local parts store for about $60.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Wait! - I just answered in the other thread, and this thread has more info. According to this thread, it is only the bell that is wrong. If you swap the flex plate, then you also must swap the torque converter. Now you're changing 3 out of 4 parts, when only the bell is wrong.
Anyway ... I have a new 157 tooth flex plate , a new spacer plate , new factory starter .
That says it is also a 10.5" bolt-circle torque converter. So, if I'm reading the info right, the block plate is 157T, the flex plate is 157T, therefore the converter is correct for 157T, leaving the bell the oddball for 164T. Right? I agree the shop should swap at no charge for the correct part.

David

1 - 16 of 16 Posts