Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info on a 429ci that has a crank driven power steering pump (not belt driven) I'm trying to find what year or model car it .came out of. I was told it came out of a T-bird but have not seen one like it anywhere else,(p/s pump slides over crankshaft and bolts up to timing cover.Any info would b helpfull. Thanks

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Does anyone have any info on a 429ci that has a crank driven power steering pump (not belt driven) I'm trying to find what year or model car it .came out of. I was told it came out of a T-bird but have not seen one like it anywhere else,(p/s pump slides over crankshaft and bolts up to timing cover.Any info would b helpfull. Thanks
68 Lincolmn 460 used that system.

you'll need the t/cover and the pump

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
68 Lincolmn 460 used that system.

you'll need the t/cover and the pump
Dan thanks for the info, it makes a lot more sense to me now. Engine was in a 70 Eliminator clone i bought some years ago set up with a set of DIVE heads, a stealth manifold, 750 carter & stock cj manifolds. The problem I ran into is the balancer started to separate so I replaced the timing cover, p/s pump and balancer with a setup off of a 429 along with all pulleys. At that point the water pump pulley would not align with the rest of the setup.I ended up back burnering the project for a couple of yeas and now i'm wanting to get it running again. Do you know if the balancer is still available ( the pulley sheaves are cast into the outer part of the balancer) or is any aftermarket co. making a serpentine belt n pulley system to replace it?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
"sheaves" there is just one plus no longer available new.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The problem I ran into is the balancer started to separate so I replaced the timing cover, p/s pump and balancer with a setup off of a 429 along with all pulleys. At that point the water pump pulley would not align with the rest of the setup. Do you know if the balancer is still available (the pulley sheaves are cast into the outer part of the balancer)...?
The '68-'70 460 Continental 460 used the crank-driven power steering pump, associated timing cover, balancer, and short-shaft waterpump. If you now have all the parts from the 429 (std-style timing cover, crankshaft spacer, balancer, pulleys, etc) transferred over to the 460 then all you need is the standard waterpump to go with the rest of the standard system.

Paul

P.s.: If you want the '68-'70 Continental balancer with the integral pulleys we have a few, but the std waterpump is far less expensive and actually goes with 429 that you've already transferred over to the 460 Continental engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The '68-'70 460 Continental 460 used the crank-driven power steering pump, associated timing cover, balancer, and short-shaft waterpump. If you now have all the parts from the 429 (std-style timing cover, crankshaft spacer, balancer, pulleys, etc) transferred over to the 460 then all you need is the standard waterpump to go with the rest of the standard system.

Paul

P.s.: If you want the '68-'70 Continental balancer with the integral pulleys we have a few, but the std waterpump is far less expensive and actually goes with 429 that you've already transferred over to the 460 Continental engine.
Thanks for the reply and info. at this time I will order up a new 429 waterpump. In the future I will be contacting your business for one of the original balancers so I can have a full set of O/E parts for this engine. Thanks, Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts