Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhere on the internet, I'm hoping in this forum, I read about a poor man's ignition system for Ford engines. It was how to hook up a common GM ignition module from the 70' or 80's to a Ford Duraspark distributor.
Anyone here know about this?
If so, please let me know.
Thanks.
Danford1

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I ran a 4 pin GMC module on my Duraspark Dizzy on a 1966 Mustang. Use a Hot Coil - like Blaster II and even then it will "cut off" sometimes at idle in gear. Especially the cycle from reverse to drive. My 302 had a 302 HO stock Roller Cam, this problem was not the cam. I have to idle it up to 900 or so RPM and it would jump from park to reverse or drive.

I got tired of this a installed a MSD 6AL box to the duraspark dizzy. Day and night difference. Will not cut off and I idle the engine at 650-700 RPM.

The 4 pin GMC module is a cheap - cheap way to run the Duraspark Dizzy - but you get what you pay for - a $17 Frankenstein solution. I keep my 4 pin in the glove box incase the MSD pukes, - it will take 5 min to install the 4 pin.

I suspect the internal resistor wire for the points might cause some of the "cut off" issues - I did not bypass this wire. But the MSD 6AL works really good as installed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What's wrong with using the Ford Duraspark ignition box?

It's basically a non-computer controlled CD ignition.

I swapped one into my 70 Mustang and it worked wonders.
Got it cheap at a "rural" junkyard.

Go to Mustang Steve's website, or do a Google, for
install & wiring instructions. Simple, cheap, effective.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The GM ignition is already in the car...
OK, I determined I DO need an ignition resistor. I've played with a few coils and it will run with an old yellow top Ford coil. I did research and found guys use a MSD Blaster 2 or 3 coil with the GM module. I bought a Blaster 3 because it had the post type coil wire hook up which I want. Measures 0.9 ohms on the primary side.
The car will not idle with the Blaster coil. I have some resistors and if I use one, it runs fine. SO I know I need a resistor.
I have 2 and they are different. One measures 1.9 ohms and when installed and running I have 9.8 - 10.0 volts between the positive coil and ground.
The other one measures 1.5 ohms and reads 11.4 volts from positive coil to ground while running.
Which one should I use or is there some other one I should get?

Thanks.
Danford1

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Opps. I see I already posted this info in the other thread. Sorry.
I was using google search to find my old posts and copy/pasting the info in them. I didn't notice they were both here...

My bad...
Danford1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts