Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo,
I bought a 351 W from a ´79 Ford LTD.
I dont hawe any specs from that engine and want to ask where to get that infos about:
what Hp has that engine stock?
what rpm-range it is build for and how many rpm will it hold?
the size of the piston-dish?
comp-ratio?
head-chamber-cc´s?

thanks for all input
Robbi

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The 2 barrel 79 351w specs are as follows 138hp @3200rpm and 260 ft ibs torque at 2200 rpm.Don't know the dish size on the pistons but the heads are the small valve 69cc chambered units.Not to impressive from a performance point of view but if the short block is in good shape a swap to pre 77 heads should get you back to a little over 9.1 compression.Add a good intake and 4 barrel, cam and headers and you should get an easy 300 horses.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a set of `66 289 and a set of 302 heads .
What you think about the rpm-range I will get?
Is that engine able to turn above 5500 rpm´s?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
If you don't mind me saying you seem alittle obsessed with rpm.Most stock ford engines will survive an occasional blast to 6000 but theres no point in revving the snot out of it unless thats where it makes its power.Once you go above 6000 the engine will have to be built to withstand these kind of rpms.You don't say what you have in mind for the engine drag racing stock car or what but with the mods I mentioned before the engine would probably be happy around 5500rpm. Again I'm kind of assuming its a street -strip type engine.The 289-302 heads could be made to work but they still have the small valves and smaller bolt holes it would be easier just to get an older set of 351 heads. Let me know what your going to do with the engine and maybe I can give you more input.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that info.
I want that engine for a street/strip combo.
The shortblock has a 268 cam ,crane lifters and is now prepaired to fit with that ported 302 heads.(all holes drilled)
Also I have 1 5/8 longtube headers with full lengh 2 1/2 inch double exhaust.
RPM intake and a 600 cfm carb.
That will go in a 67 Mustang.
What you think ?

If the engine need a rebuildin the next few years , I want to buy a rebuild-kit with flat-top pistons and change that heads to afr´s or canfields.
but I hope it will not needed so early !

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Your parts are a little mis-matched for optimum performance.The performer rpm intake is rated from 1500-6500rpm and Edelbrock recommends a750 cfm carb.The cam they reccomend to go with this setup is as follows.Duration 224 intake and 234 degrees exhaust at .050 lift.Lift specs are 496 intake and 520 lift, which I imagine is a fair bit healthier than your 268 cam.I don't know what to say about your 302 heads depending on what year they are you could have anywhere from 8.2:1 compression to 10.2:1.and still have the small valves.Also the steam holes in the head may not line up with the ones in the block depending on the year(you can use the head gasket that matches the head to check, just lay it on the block).and these can be drilled I'd still go for the old 351 heads but if you've spent a lot of time and money on the 302 heads what the heck throw it together and see how it runs.Maybe you'll have stumbled on a strange combination that works but I wouldn't expect to go real fast with this setup.But hey it sounds like you have plans for a nice combo if this one isn't up to your expectations.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my plan was to rebuild my old 289 but it need a lot of time and searching for parts.
(here in germany they are very expencive, the crank costs here more than a rebuild-kit in USA ! , maschine-shop work is also very expencive )
that 351 shortblock I get cheap, so I can drive my car this year with that parts I have, but if it need a rebuild I will rebuild it first (more cubes -more fun).
The first upgrade I am looking for is a good 750 doublepumper.
That 302 heads are with small chamber(much smaler than that stock 351 heads)
Do you know where I can buy a good master-rebuilding-kit ?
I want to buy that kit complete balanced (crank,all bushings,rods, pistons and damper etc.)
I know a good balancing job is not easy to find. mostly you get other balancing-quality than offered . (thats what I heard more times)
Thanks for every information .
Robbi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts