Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while back I saw a vendor selling complete sets. I'm running 225/70-14 dog dish with trim ring right now. Looks good, but I want to plus up. Anybody know best place to buy them and with the Torino crest centers? Also, would love to hear your thoughts on tire sizes front and rear. I'm looking for a bit fatter stance taller than current and no rubbing issues.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Duke. If it means anything, I think your Torino looks GREAT with the trim rings and centers. I understand the desire to switch but if you had magnums to start with, you'd be wondering what trim rings and caps look like. Magnums are great looking wheels and do an awesome job of taking a mediocre body style and making it look better. However, when the body you've got (70-71 fastback torino) is already awesome... no improvement required. Plain jane wheels bring the focus to the body. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, you're right. I was just frustrated with small wheels and hard to find tires in the 14 inch variety. Thanks. I told my wife I guess I'll just get new whatever tires I can find, but she said "Get what you want, not what you need."
I had to ask her again if she meant what she said. What a keeper, eh!

Still, the back tires are a bit smallish compared to the size of the car. And the 15" rims would allow me to upsize at about $650 and go to more readily available tires. Of course these tires been on here 12 years now. WHatever I go with will be there a good long time too I imagine.

Again, thanks and I'll give that some thought. Meanwhile my car's gotta stay parked until I make up my mind.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like 'em both ways --- caps 'n rings or magnums . Another option is to have your current centers put into 15 in barrels , and just buy new trim rings .

116-1657_IMG.JPG

116-1656_IMG.JPG

My g/f's 70 with 235 / 60 /15 front , and 255 /60 / 15 rear . no rubbing issues .

6828_103616529650466_100000063581761_102137_7793264_n.jpg

My 70 with the same fronts , but with a 275 / 60 / 15 out back . Had to trim the wheel opening lip just a bit , but it's also got lowered rear springs .

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for taking the time to post some pic's. Gives me some perspective. Wasn't even thinking of blackwall. Either way they look great and appreciate you sharing them. I'm dead in the driveway until I replace the tires. Just not sure I want to stick with 14" wheels and gotta decide if fronts and rears would be 15x7 all around or 15x8 on the backs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would up-size to 15 in wheels without a question . The g/f's car has 15 X 7 all the way around , and mine has 15 X 8 out back .

Here's a couple pics of mine w/ different wheel / tire combos .

ConvertWheelSwap1.jpg

Wheels3d.jpg

Wheels3c.jpg

Dunno why , but I never thought to put the trim rings on it when I was running the steelies 'n caps ....

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I ran 14" Centerlines, and then 14" Magnum 500's for 3 1/2 years until I "upgraded" to a set of 15" steelies... and I cannot imagine why in the world anyone would not want to stick with 14" wheels. Maybe if you are into authenticity, but otherwise, it is totally worth it especially if it is a driver.

I run mine without the dog dish hubcaps because I like the blacked out look, expecially since my car is black. To add a little bit of flash I do have chrome lug nuts though, as well as polished bearing caps on the front. When combined with the polished aluminum trim on the car they add just enough contrast to break up the blackness.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the input. I got the 15x7's front and 15x8's rear and about to purchase 235/60-15 fronts and 275/60-15 for the rear. The wheels came today and look awesome. I might sell the old ones.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let's see some pix !
It's coming... I ordered BF Goodrich T/A Radials ebay and they're not here yet! I ended up going 235/60-15 front, and 255/60-15 on the rear. I'm thinking that'll put some fat out back but won't swallow up the whole wheel well. Also got the Torino center caps coming from Summit. I'll post once mounted! Note: I've had the car 12 years and these are the first tires I've bought, pathetic I know, but I just didn't drive it far.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let's see some pix !
Hey, so here's the results. I appreciate the feedback to get me thru all the choices. In looking up underneath, I can see with the 15X8's with the offset 4.5" I probably could go 275's but really pleased with the look. My new Mag 500 from Vintiques 15X7 with 235/60-15 front, plus chin spoiler from Dearborn:

Back 15X8 with 255/60-15's:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looks awesome ! The car really "pops" now ! 2 thumbs up ! Can you get an overall front 1/4 pic -- kinda like the 1st pic you posted ----wanna see a before & after comparison . thnx for posting the pix !

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks awesome ! The car really "pops" now ! 2 thumbs up ! Can you get an overall front 1/4 pic -- kinda like the 1st pic you posted ----wanna see a before & after comparison . thnx for posting the pix !
Thanks guys. If you haven't bought tires (or rims) in 12 years you know it's like when you get some new shoes!

Nothing wrong with this car, but here's before...

and here's after...

You know I got the new laser stripe in box from way back so maybe that's coming. The main thing was to get safe rubber underneath me and the old tires were pretty tired!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts