Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See sig for my mods....I feel like it should have a lot more power
for the mods it has. Right now it feels like a 14.5 second car.

I haven't ran it at the track yet, but it feels weaker than a stock mustang....

I have a timing light with a advance dial on the back up to 60 degrees. When I timed it I took the vacuum adavance off and I set it at about 30 degrees advance and reved it up and it sounded fine...then I hooked the vacuum advance back up and reved it up and it sounded like it was "fluttering" it just didn't sound good.......... I didn't mark the balancer it was already marked. COuld the mark be in the wrong spot? Did I do something wrong when I put the cam in?

Now the carb, I hooked up the vacuum to the tree behind the carb, and turned the screws in all the way in then one turn out then until I got the highest vacuum. It is still slow!!!!! Do these carbs suck or what? Does it need to be jetted? How do I do this? I don't know anything about carbs....

Is it my carb holding me back or my timing, both, does the engine need a longer time to break in? It has only been driven probably 20 miles, but it has probably ran at least 3-4 hours total. Does my combo suck? Help me Please!!!! THank for all of your help guys

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would take the timing cover off get someone to see if it is 180deg out of time and then degree the cam for you.Assuming you are using the original balancer mark TDC. What carb are you using? A 600 Holley? These have too lean an idle circuit if you have a radical motor.You can run the stop screw in to a fast idle and back out on the mixture screws maybe 21/2 to 3 turns and see if it will crank and adj timing. What distributor are you using?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using the edelbrock 600cfm carb #1405. I am using a stock dist. from a 85 Mustang with a 5 speed. Thats what I need to convert from efi to carb.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could the timing chain been put on the cam wrong?

·
Registered
19 Posts
It could be indexed wrong. Need to pull the front cover and make sure the gears were aligned right and degree the cam while you've got it apart.I have the same Edelbrock and it runs rich enough for my small block.I am assuming that the plug wires are also in the right place. Set the rotor at the number 1 spot while checking the chain assembley and it should fire up with the timing at TDC an slowly advance it close to factory specs and work from there.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I dont see what type of exhaust or gear ratio you have. Im not what sure what the goals or expectations for the car were but I can tell you that a stock 87-93 LX 5.0 spd stang is nothing to scoff at. I had one for 10 yrs and with 3.55, G60 M&H's, minor tuning, and an upgraded exhaust it went mid 13's at 100 mph in 90^ heat at Formosa with a 1st time ever on a dragstrip with sticky tires driver....ME
Im not sure what your cam specs are as I see 6 diff cams from TFS in the summit catolog. Check you rate of advance and at what rpm you get total advance which I would start at 32^. That 85 dist really is a smog piece. You want your advance all in by 2500 rpm. You may need to recurve that dist. Also what intake are you running?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, it is running hot.... I don't have the timing chain cover off, is there any other way to tell if it off?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
While the cam may or may not be out a few degrees, depending on what timing set you have the motor would not run if the cam was out 180 degrees.The pistons would probably be hitting the valves etc.I would stick to the basics until you have thought of everything before I would rip into the engine.Are you sure you are using the proper firing order for the cam?I would keep playing with the ignition timing and then move to the carb.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am running the Edelbrock torker II intake. I figure my problem has to be the timing... having the carb not tuned exactly rightwouldn't give me this big of lack of power would it? but having the timing way could right? Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is your vacuum advance hooked up to full vacuum or to the "timed" vacuum port on the front of the carb. On Edelbrocks, the higher port is "timed" which means you are not pulling full vacuum at idle. If you are not using this port for your distributor, you might try hooking the vacuum advance to it. Use the lower port to hook your vacuum gauge up to since it is full vacuum all the time then cap it when not checking your vacuum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been using the full vacuum advance. I am not sure exactly what my timing is at right now. When I timed it last weekend I had it set at 36 degrees advanced according to the timing light alone, that is not counting the centrifugal advance. SO that has to be way off. I can't believe it was even running, cuase it would have to be at lease 56 degrees. I just thought I was supposed to advance it 36 degrees per the timing gun. I have done a lot of research this week and found that my timing is way off still. My car doesn't want to turn off right away when the key is turned off. That is a sign of bad timing too right? thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Set the timing with the vacuum line disconnedted and caped.

I use manifold vacuum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try setting your initial timing at 8 to 10 degrees to start off with. This is at idle, hopefully below around 600 to 700 rpm. You don't want your idle too high otherwise your centrifugal advance will start to kick in resulting in mis timing your inital advance. Make sure the vacuum advance can is not connected as well as well when setting initial timing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would start by checking first things first like the cam and timing chain and gears. The tuning is easy.If it ran hot something was retarded. You havent mentioned the timing gears and if they had multiple keyways on the crank gear.It could run 180 deg off with a mild cam.Check the firing order required for the cam.Late HO uses 351w order.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Maybe its time to forget about the timing light.Just get the car running decent and go out somewhere where you can hammer on it.Slowly advance the timing (make sure your turning the distributor the right way)until you start to get some pinging under load,then turn the distributor back until pinging goes away.If you can't get the car performing decently this way its time to look somewhere else.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 4/5/02 7:31am ]</font>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WHen it run really crappy if the firing order was wrong?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts