Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a new carb, possibly a Holley Street Avenger 670CFM and I want to know if it will help me in the power departent at all?

Here's my setup right now, stock 302 block with stock 302 heads(valves, spring, rockers all stock). Running a Edelbrock Performer Intake with a Holley 600CFM 4160 Carb. CompCams hydraulic cam with 268 duration on the intake and exhaust and .456" lift with 1.6 rockers. I've got Tri-y's with a h-pipe and dual 2.25 running out.

I'd like to build up a new EFI motor eventually but I'd like to squeeze everything I can now. Any suggestions to increase power would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
With your current setup, probably not. when you have an airflow restriction, holding back your engine, thats when you need a larger carb. A 600 cfm is plenty for stock heads, valves and street cam. You are already looking at changing to a FI engine, why spend the $300+ for no signicant gain. For a speed fix, right now, go for a little "juice". A 75-100 kit will give you bragging rights ... right now, and would cost that much more than a carb. Its your money. Besides, jetting and std tuning would more than make up the difference between a 600 and a 670 at your street level. Now if you had better heads .... changing the heads would make a big difference, high ratio 1:7 rockers would help a little, tighter gears would give you better acceleration (stay under 3:90 for street, 3:50 - 3:89)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 6/21/02 1:00am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Honestly...it wont help. Your major obstacle in that combo is the stock heads, and then the performer intake. Best bang for the buck would be to port the stock heads yourself, or bolt on a good used set of aftermarket heads. You could see 40 or so HP from openeing the heads up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
67stang: What kind of gains can I see from putting on a set of heads (possible Performer RPM) and a Performer RPM intake while keeping the rest the same?

Can I use a 2.02" intake or do the stock pistons keep me to a 1.94" intake?

·
Registered
126 Posts
On 2002-06-20 13:09, mstnggt66 wrote:
67stang: What kind of gains can I see from putting on a set of heads (possible Performer RPM) and a Performer RPM intake while keeping the rest the same?
Can I use a 2.02" intake or do the stock pistons keep me to a 1.94" intake?
You could probably get 60hp from the RPM package. I would stick with 1.94" valves, 2.02" will be shrouded. You really just need to make sure to get 1.6" exh. instead of 1.54". That is the main restriction in Ford heads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.