Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 model f-150 5.0L.

i rebuilt the motor in it last winter(january2001) when it had 180k miles on it to find that one of the pistons had a quarter sized hole melted thru it. i did basically a stock rebuild with it only i installed a slightly above stock cam and a lower temp thermo stat in it(160deg),and kept the speed density setup. Big mistake the low temp stat made the efi think it was always cold and run rich all the time. so i converted it to 4bbl (which takes alot more than i had origionally thought to accomplish).

anyway 10k miles later i want more from it.
i am think about ordering new heads, roller cam/lifters, full roller rockers,msd ignition,and possibly swap out the 3.55 gears for some 3.73's. the new c4 tranny is already on the way.

ok on to the question...lol
are the mods practical for this motor that already has 10k miles on it or do u guys think i should pull it out and freshen it up (bearings,rings,etc...

any advice u can give is greatly apreciated

joe:)

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Ithink your shortblock should be fine with only 10k's on it.Make sure you clean all gasket surfaces well and don,t drop any crap into the motor while its apart.Not a bad e.t. I had a429 thunderjet c-6 in an 1982 F100 2.79 open rear that ran 15.30's:)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Depending on the cc's of the new heads, you might want to do a leak-down test first to see if the rings are sealing. If you put better heads with more comp. you just might blow rings. But at only 10k, the motor pretty much is just broken in, so I see no problem. Remember to match the springs with the cam.

Rick

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
74maverick,
what headers did you use for the 351w/maverick swap? I'm building my own as we speak...and trust me, I wont do it again. Next time, I'll get a mustang II front end.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have moly rings and the rings are well sealed as i have already run a compression test one of my buddies recommended the same thing, the heads im going to use are 58cc chambers with 2.02/1.60 valves and flow 249cfm intake and 179cfm exhaust.
thanks for all the feed back guys. and wish me luck ...lol

i used 351 block huggers... but i have removed the front fender wells and have tube chassied the front end of my car...will post some picks to show the details

joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts