Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the cam out in the my 1966 428 Galaxie. The cam in there now is a Crane Energizer 272 Hyd grind with .533 lift and 216 @ 0.50 lift duration.

I think a well thought out cam change would be well worth the time and money at this point.

Here is the combo for the car.

1966 Galaxie 0.30 over 428 big block with full lenth headers.It has 2 1/2 exhuast with 2 chamber Flowmasters all the way back.

The car is a 4-speed with a 3.70 traction lock rear.I'm in the process right now of getting a real nice "sidewinder" 427 intake for it.It has a 780 vac sec Holley right now but,I will be willing to change it out for something else if it would be better?

I saw some real nice sounding cams in the Comp cams book but, was wondering how close the caracteristics would be a on a 430+ cube FE?

I was thinking how they list the cams for all FE's and wondering how different those same cams would act in a 352 compared to a 430+ cube FE? I want to stay with hyd grind cam also,this is not going to be a race car I just want it to sound meaner and move a little better?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well Tom, I wont give you any grief about that FE motor, because you're a stand-up guy who's alright in my book!

Anyway, that cam sounds like its fairly stout, and its got the 3.70 gears to go along with it.
Im not sure if CompCams has their Extreme (XE) series cams for FE's out yet, but thats a good place to look. Also, Ultradyne Cams are pretty big supporters of the FE engine, so they may have some cams that fit your needs.

BTW, what are your needs? You want more low speed torque, or upper RPM power?
My guess is the low speed torque, because the car weigh's so much.

Be sure to upgrade the rockers and shafts, too!

Oh yeah, could you post those pics of your buddy's 69 Cyclone again?....Im just so in love with that car! Maybe in the Garage would be better place....or the Torino/Montego board. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stanley, I was thinking about those Comp Cams "Extreme Energys" too but,I looked at the Comp website and they don't list any grinds for the FE yet.

I saw a nice Comp Cam "Magnum" with the specs of .560 lift and 244 @ o.50 duration on the site that I thought sounded good?

I was wondering how much of the cam would get soaked up with the big cube FE that I have?

That same "Magnum" cam I was thinking about would be pretty radical in a 352 FE but,how much less radical would that cam be in a 430+ cube FE?

I would want to favor low end torque for this combo and really want to get it slight race idle for it. I don't want to spin this thing must past 5800 rpm at all.

Here is the new intake for the cars combo,I wanted a intake that looked era correct and worked good too?

It's a 427 "sidewinder"!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have the Crane energizer in my '69 Cobra Jet 428. It is really mild, about like the stock CJ cam as far as idle and performance( but still way ahead of a factory 428 Galaxie cam). For a healthy sounding street engine(but not too radical) something around 230 degree @.050 with .550 lift should be a good choice.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hey Tom,check out Reed Cams in Georgia. http://www.reedcams.com . Talk to their tech guys.Reed used to be really big in Nascar and still are in certain racing circles.They eat,sleep and breathe bumpsticks.They reeeeeally know their stuff.I cant emphasize enough how happy I have been over the years with them.
If they dont have what you want...they will custom grind one.Very affordable also.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bossman on 3/30/02 11:55pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On 2002-03-30 02:13, Stanley Superior wrote:

Oh yeah, could you post those pics of your buddy's 69 Cyclone again?....Im just so in love with that car! Maybe in the Garage would be better place....or the Torino/Montego board. Thanks!
Ok Stanley, I will post some more pics of that car soon! I have not seen the guy with that car for a while now? I'm sure he has still got the car and if anything it's even faster now!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On 2002-03-30 11:19, TurboCoupe50 wrote:
For a healthy sounding street engine(but not too radical) something around 230 degree @.050 with .550 lift should be a good choice.
This does sound like a grind profile that I would be very interested in?

I'll check around the different cam companies and see what they offer.

Thanks TC 5.0!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
For a "racy" idle yet have a lower powerband under 6000RPM will require a cam that has around 240 or 245 at .050 duration but a tight LSA to keep the RPMs down so a 292 Magnum Comp Cam with a 106 LSA instead of the 110 they list will get you that idle you want and keep the RPMs down under 6000. A 292 Magnum will run 6500RPMs in a 428 with the 110 LSA. I've seen several 428 CJs at the track using the 292 Magnum and they ran between 12.50s and 11.80s depending on their combos(all had uatomatics) but tighten the LSA to 106 to drop the RPMs down and maybe even advance the gear 2-4 degrees to help out low end torque even more. Have it custom ground with the Extreem Energy lobes and with the 106LSA. I would personally forget about a mean idle and go for the 230 at .050 280 Magnum Comp Cam and have it cusom ground with the Extreem Energy lobes on the 108 LSA for the most power under 6000RPMs. Do you have headers for it or are you keeping manifolds on it?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes, it's got the Crites headers already on it.

Why, does the fact is has headers on it change your cam recomendations?
The exhaust flow capabilities of a combo is one of the most overlooked but important things to consider when choosing a cam. Big cams are a disaster when combined with a low flowing exhaust system. When a good free flowing long tube system is used with a healthy cam, the cam opens the exhaust valve when there is still enough pressure in the cylinder to cause a violent initial pressure wave down the primary tube and through the collector. This creates a low pressure wave behind it, which travels in the opposite direction, back up the header, and if the header is the right length and the cam the right duration, reaches the cylinder just before the intake valve starts to open to start the overlap period. This serves to scavenge the cyinder of exhaust gasses and creates a low pressure condition which helps to start the intake port flowing in the right direction. This all but eliminates intake flow reversion. However, if there are no headers, or if the exhaust system is restrictive most of the positive effects of the earlier exhaust valve opening are lost. The initial pressure wave is now operating in an atmosphere that restricts it's flow and is under several lbs/sq.inch which greatly reduces it's effectiveness. As well any negative pressure that happens to be created behind the initial pressure wave is quickly overcome by the pressure and reverse flow in the exhaust system itself and the cylinder is not scavenged effecively enough to create low pressure in the cylinder. Then when the intake valve opens to start the overlap period the pressure behind the intake valve, in the intake runner is lower than cylinder pressure, and is being aided by a still rising piston, which creates reverse flow, or intake reversion in the intake runner. This reverse flow does not change to positive flow until the piston has started down it's bore far enough to create negative pressure in the cylinder and the enertia of the reverse flowing intake mixture is overcome. This drastically shortens cylinder filling time and has a tremendously negative effect on torque production.
So, to make a long story short, unless you have an optimised exhaust system with long tube headers and a very good exhaust system that produces almost no backpressure, big cams and lots of overlap do not work. In fact they are detrimental. You'll get, to an even greater degree, all the negative effects that a big cam produces without many, if any, of the positive ones.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mach1morgan on 4/3/02 2:49am ]</font>

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
The shaft rocker setup on FE's has a built in flaw. The shafts for the end rockers are only supported on one side, which puts a LOT of stress on the shaft. This was fine for old cams with low lifts and moderate accelerations... but modern grinds lift the valves a LOT further and a LOT faster, and WILL flex and break the shaft. However, there are fixes. End supports are available. The best fix for the money would be the Erson rocker system. It comes with the stands (including end stands), needle bearing roller rockers... everything needed short of the pushrods. It costs around $600 through Summit. There is quite a bit of discussion about them at the following FE forum. I purchased a set for a 427 stroker I'm building for a friend. They are nice.

http://network54.com/Forum/74182

When installing big cams... ESPECIALLY ones with tight lobe seperations, the exhaust NEEDS to flow freely. Do yourself a favor and install 3" exhaust on the car. Without it, you may as well stick with the smaller cams. I wouldn't recommend anything over around 230 @ 0.050" with the 2.5" tubes.

If you've already got a good rocker setup, and all you need are the endstands, Ford Powertrain offers a set that can be seen here...

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/endstand.htm

Good Luck!
http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/healey/367

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 4/1/02 9:14pm ]</font>

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would like to suggest the Comp Cams dual Energy series 275 DEH. It has durations @.050" of 219 INT 232 EXH lifts are .515" INT and .541" exhaust. This should have agood sound to it and be very driveable with your present set up.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Won't the stock adjustable rockers handle the load of a hydraulic cam with 244 or 248 duration at .050"? Has anybody seen a stock adjustable FE rocker break with an aggressive hydraulic cam? $320 for an aftermarket shaft setup with end stands using the stock adjustable rockers sure sounds appealing to me but not if the stock rockers are going to break. Any input?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Stock rockers are very tough, but by the time you get new rockers, stands and spacers you will be very close to the price of the Erson setup. As NO2Mike said the stock stands are a real problem and some kind of outer stand is required for all but the most mild cams.
Unfortunatly the Erson setup is permanently on backorder. They are making a bunch now so order soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts