Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
heres the situation:
A couple of months ago, I decided to get my 67 back on the road after sitting for 5 yaers. Could not get it to idle smooth. Was lumpy. The motor internals are stock 289 2v, Ive got a edel 1404 carb /w performer intake, full lenth flowmatser headers with glass packs.
Since the idle circiut screws did nothing, I decided to take the carb off, and replace all the gaskets and things. It has the stock configuration and ran great since i put it on in '97.
So i get the top of the carb off, and there is aluminum sludge in the bowls. I clean it all out, blow out the idle circiuts with comp air, and the bowls are corroded really bad. So I clean it all out and it back together, and tuned it in. ran great again, but last night with a romp thru my 'hood, the idle started acting up again. im running a fuel filter, btw.
So, Im assuming more shtuff got in to my idle circiuts. Probably more junk sluffed off the aluminum.
So now Im looking online at 1404's and wondering why are they still the same price as they were 20 some years ago? Its the same old carb, no new bells or whistles. what gives?
Is it safe to buy a re-man? Can I reseal the corroded alum ore what?
Is 500 cfm enuf? or should i go with a 600cfm(1405)? Tax refund is here, so ide like to get it while i can.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Good Questions....

I dislike Holley's because I've only come across 5 of them in 30 years that work correctly and I only rebuilt ONE of those 5... :(

But if I may say so without prejudice, they are nearly as plug and play as a Carter/Edelbrock carb... I hate to say it but it's true.

The Bowls can be coated in tank liner to seal the aluminum, that's no problem, but the other parts cannot due to the passageway's that can and will be blocked by it.

If you have more debris, the best fix is to get rid of the parts that are corroding. If it's the metering block/s, then get new metering blocks...

Or go Edel 1405 and be done with it, the 600 CFM over the 500 CFM will not be too large.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i had thought about tank liner, but like you said, the little passage ways will prolly be eaten up/blocked as well.
I dont like holley's either.
Any thoughts on why they are still the same price?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not interested in holley's, i want to replace my edel 1404 with same.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Funny I dont like Eddlel brocks/ carters. Used them back in the day when thats about all there was.
I don like there small fuel bowels. If there left to sit for a long period there heck to get started. I have sat Holley carbed engines sit for a year or more and have them started up in a few min. Gotten better economy out of a Holley and power.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, it does take some serious kicking to get it started if it sits for a few days.
Im just going with what I know. edels are easy to tune, but then again, Ive never had a holley(other than a breif ownership of a clapped out 390 67 ranchero.)
My 67 had the stock autolite 2bbl on it when I got it. It was leaking gas bad out of the accel pump housing, i tried to rebiuld it, but it just started leaking elsewere.

·
Registered
674 Posts
What i realy like nowadays are the Quick Fuel carbs. The SS series for hte street almost every curcuit is adjustable without the need for drilling and or tapping for alen screws to adjust air or fuel metering. Even with that on any carb you have to understand whats up.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Angus, If you go with another Edelbrock carb go with a 500 cfm, 600 is to big for a stock motor. I had a 600 on my stock 289 for awhile but the 500 works better. I cleaned out the 600 and put her away for a rainy day. I know what you mean by having a tough time getting her started after sitting for awhile, maybe 4-7 days.....I think the fuel bowls have drained and need to fill back up. I've heard of other guys with the same problem, I'm temped to put an electric pump on so it'll fill the bowls instead of cranking them full.

I like Turbo's idea of the Quick Fuel Carbs even if I've never tried one....just wish they were the color of a Holley, I like that gold color. :D

For mileage and performance the Holley is better then the Edelbrock IMO, they just leak everywhere!

I'd go with a Holley or Quick Fuel Carb when I buy another carb....can't ever have enough carbs around anyway, as long as you take care of them!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
1404 is a 500, 1405 is a 600, its hard todrive everyday since my commute is 122 miles. My 67 gets 14 mpg in its best form. My toyota gets 25. you do the math.
So, went out and started the car, warmed up, idle stil lumpy. shut it off, took out the idle needles, blew compressed air back thru the circiuts, cleared up the idle, so, yeah, my carbs shot.
Stupid ethenol is probly to blame, as well as sitting for a number of years. Oh well.
I got the go ahead for a new one. I see holleys are a bit cheaper. are they hard to set up?
Those quick fuels are nice, but noticeably pricier than holley/edel, holley being about 50$ cheaper than a edelbrock. I might go holley.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
1404 is a 500, 1405 is a 600, its hard todrive everyday since my commute is 122 miles. My 67 gets 14 mpg in its best form. My toyota gets 25. you do the math.
So, went out and started the car, warmed up, idle stil lumpy. shut it off, took out the idle needles, blew compressed air back thru the circiuts, cleared up the idle, so, yeah, my carbs shot.
Stupid ethenol is probly to blame, as well as sitting for a number of years. Oh well.
I got the go ahead for a new one. I see holleys are a bit cheaper. are they hard to set up?
Those quick fuels are nice, but noticeably pricier than holley/edel, holley being about 50$ cheaper than a edelbrock. I might go holley.

WHOAH..... Removing needles and blowing isn't going to do much, you need the carb off then BLOW BACK through the circuit with the neeedles out. shoot carb cleaner through it then air.

That should cure you for a lot longer than forcing the debris through the orifice...

·
Registered
674 Posts
I would suggest the QF HR 580VS for your application. Not quite as adjustable as the SS series but its all you would need. With the adjustability it has you could spend that much more getting a Holley to run as well.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I dissassemble and soak mine in Barrymans 5 gallon bucket of cleaner for possibly a week. Best cleaner I KNOW OF THAT can be purchased. Wish I could purchase some good old Hydroseal that stuff only needed about a 5 min soak. It been off the market for a couple decades or more .

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Maybe I should take my 600 Edelbrock off the shelf and check her out.

Hate for a good carb to go bad, I did however clean her out and blow air thru her then bagged & boxed her up. Hope it's enough.

I found Holleys easier to tune then a Edelbrock but don't get a Holley with that stupid transfer tube deal! Hated that set up, I never bought another one of those. Holley makes a lot more carbs now so look at all there options and get a manual chock for sure. If you get a 500-600 with the transfer tube you can buy a bowl conversion kit so you have seperate fuel lines for each bowl.....makes it alot easier to work on.

Of course if you get the conversion kit you might as well buy the Quick Fuel that Turbo talks about.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WHOAH..... Removing needles and blowing isn't going to do much, you need the carb off then BLOW BACK through the circuit with the neeedles out. shoot carb cleaner through it then air.

That should cure you for a lot longer than forcing the debris through the orifice...
I did take the needles out and blow thru, I just didnttake off the carb. didnt have any carb cleaner, thought i did. time for another case.
It was only a test to see if indeed there was a blockage in the idle circiut. it was, so, new carb it is.
I will take another look at the quick fuels. thanks.
Whats wrong with the transfer tube? it just fills the other bowl once the first bowl is full, right? you dont need the secondaries on startup . i do like the look of the double line though. The transfer tube looks tidier though. jst curious.
Rick racer, if you blew out your 600, then shelved it, it should be fine. Leaving gas in to detorioate like i did is bad.
I have a bucket of berrymans dip. Ive turned boat anchor motorcycle carbs into performers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
holy smoke!! I just looked at that model quick fuel that you suggested, and that is way too steep for me. over 350$. Damn! does it come with a sandwich and beer, or what?
Sheesh, this makes edel/holley seem like a bargain, even though their prices havnt changed in 20 years.
I think ill get aholley. Any suggestions for my internally stock, rpm performer intake with full length headers 0n 2v heads?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Look at the advantages over a holley or EDDy. adjustable secondarys (dont have to buy a spring kit and dissasemble to change springs), changable air bleeds for fine tuning, metering blocks front and rear, site glass bowls, 4 corner idle. aluminum light weight hsg.
Also made frome new molds and have better tollerances.
Other pluses is having better gaskets even the idle screw gaskes made out of cork go bad with todays fuel in a mater of weeks. Theres are nylon.
All the Holleys I rebuild with thier stuff if possible.

Wish I could run them on my car but a pair of them wont fit my manifold.
Thier 780 would be nice on my 460 dually.
If I sell some stuff it will be my next move.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts