Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

need new carb?

6K views 52 replies 8 participants last post by  angus67 
Angus, If you go with another Edelbrock carb go with a 500 cfm, 600 is to big for a stock motor. I had a 600 on my stock 289 for awhile but the 500 works better. I cleaned out the 600 and put her away for a rainy day. I know what you mean by having a tough time getting her started after sitting for awhile, maybe 4-7 days.....I think the fuel bowls have drained and need to fill back up. I've heard of other guys with the same problem, I'm temped to put an electric pump on so it'll fill the bowls instead of cranking them full.

I like Turbo's idea of the Quick Fuel Carbs even if I've never tried one....just wish they were the color of a Holley, I like that gold color. :D

For mileage and performance the Holley is better then the Edelbrock IMO, they just leak everywhere!

I'd go with a Holley or Quick Fuel Carb when I buy another carb....can't ever have enough carbs around anyway, as long as you take care of them!

Maybe I should take my 600 Edelbrock off the shelf and check her out.

Hate for a good carb to go bad, I did however clean her out and blow air thru her then bagged & boxed her up. Hope it's enough.

I found Holleys easier to tune then a Edelbrock but don't get a Holley with that stupid transfer tube deal! Hated that set up, I never bought another one of those. Holley makes a lot more carbs now so look at all there options and get a manual chock for sure. If you get a 500-600 with the transfer tube you can buy a bowl conversion kit so you have seperate fuel lines for each bowl.....makes it alot easier to work on.

Of course if you get the conversion kit you might as well buy the Quick Fuel that Turbo talks about.

The reason I don't care for the transfer tube is that you can jack up one of the really small o-rings taking the carb apart to work on it.....the carb itself is good but seperate fuel lines for each bowl make it better.

As for what your 289 set up what do you want from it? Lots of hp or just enough for fun? I'd buy that new carb and a pertronix for the dizzy if you don't have one and call the mods to the 289 done for now. I'd start to change the other things like the brakes, tranny mods and gearing in the 8". A front sway bar is one of the best buys I've done on my 66 along with a oil breather tank that replaced the leaky valve cover breather I had. The breather tank is in the lower right hand corner and it has a breather element on it which you can't see.

On my near stock 289 I've got a high rise dual plane, 500 cfm carb, flowmaster headers and pertronix in the stock dizzy which I painted the cap Candy Apple Red. I've got disk brakes up front with drums in the back and I 67-69 valve body with a shift kit all to be installed in the Green Dot tranny later. I'm leaving my 289 internals alone and changing other things to get it faster then do the engine last.....IMO it works better that way. Here's a pic of my 289....it looks cool and it's very easy to maintain.

Right now I've got a C4 but plan on putting an AOD or 4R7 or whatever it's called in later but I'm looking for another carb.

On my near stock 289 I've got a high rise dual plane, 500 cfm Eddy carb, flowtech headers and pertronix in the stock dizzy which I painted the cap Candy Apple Red. I've got disk brakes up front with drums in the back and a 67-69 valve body with a shift kit all to be installed in the Green Dot tranny later. I'm leaving my 289 internals alone and changing other things to get it faster then do the engine last.....IMO it works better that way. When I do build up another motor I want a better performing carb to go with the worked over early 289 heads that're sitting pretty and wrapped up under the work bench just waiting to be used, so right now I'm looking around for the best carb.

Hiya turbo,

Here's the flow specs of the heads. These heads are early 289's that have been ported a lot,7/16 rocker studs, new valve job with stock size valves. I'll keep the stock valves for better bottom end torque. I got these from a guy who was going to use them for SS racing and he put a lot of money into them. They even have the heat passage blocked off. I posted a thread under the Home Porting forum awhile back under 289 Hi-Po heads.

I think I can go with a 650 cfm carb with the right cam and you and I even discussed that under that other post. You said a .480 lift .214 duration cam would be good for what I want.

Flow Specs,

Intake:

Lift Flow
200 127
300 172
400 191
500 208
600 213

Exhaust:

Lift Flow
200 100
300 132
400 160
500 178
600 182

Hope those come across right and help

Here's the link to that post with my heads and your comments.
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/home-porting-cylinder-heads/512217-289-hi-po-heads.html

I do have a brand new later Ford Performance aluminum dual plane high rise that might flow better then the 60's version that I've got on her now. If that won't work then I do have a old style Eddy Torker hangin on the wall just beggin to use......would that do?
Remember I only wanted around 300 hp and not much more.....but 370 hp is way higher then I wanted. :eek:

Hey Monte, that sure is a sweet looking engine! That would look great in my 66!

Nice engine set up Turbo,

I'd like to use the newer Ford intake so maybe the heads have been over done for that intake? I would think the stock size valves would have kept the flow down somewhat for a good dual plane intake.

If I have to go with a single plane then that's what I'll do but isn't the Eddy Airgap suppose to work really well up to 6500 rpm....wouldn't that work? After all the heat passage is blocked off in the heads so an Airgap would work even better. I'd loose some bottom end torque with a single plane so the 3:50-3:70 gearing would get some of it back?

Angus, I know what you mean about the Eddy carb not looking cool....I think they could have made a better casting for sure.

The PVC hose does hook up in the front of the carb and the vacuum advance off the dizzy hooks up the timed port.
Just make sure you adjust those mixture screws slowly and when the car is warmed up.

Right now I'm without a computer at home since the mother board went bad so I jump on the library computer down the street when needed. I miss my computer all already! :(

Thanks Turbo for the lesson.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.