Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anybody recommend an upholstery shop in orange county ca?

Would i be better off getting a complete kit and installing it myself?

Should i look elsewhere besides dearborn?

thanks

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
You are talking a lot of money I would do a lot of shopping. You can do most of it your self with the kits, But I would take the seats to a pro and have them retied and padded right, Then install the kit covers for a factory look.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I got a great deal from Dearborn for bucket and rear upholstry and bucket seat padding (29% discount).

But, I'm still waiting for some of my order since 2/29/2012.

If you order from them, and get quick delivery, I'd love to know.

Otherwise, if they are on the level, be prepared for a three month wait.

As for installation, I'm not a full blown mechanic, much more of a backyard mechanic, but in a convertible where everything is right "there" to see, I'm going with a pro.

Even with the discount, I paid too much money to take a chance on screwing it up.

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
I didn't see anything tied in my '64 seats other than a wire runs vertical and goes in a little 'sleeve' so that you can hog ring it through the foam to the springs to pull the center of the "tuck and roll" down. Pretty simple seats if you just remember or take pics on how you took it apart. You could add up what the kit costs then go out and compare i to upholstery places or find out what it would cost on top of the cost of the kit to install it for you. I'd just do it myself but that's me.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Ordered from Dearborn using a discount code.
Everything came quick except a rear armrest that was on back order.
But it has shown up now.
Did you get 64 500XL front/rear upholstry? Hardtop or convert?

When did you order, and when did you receive your order?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i ended up ordering everything but a dash pad and top from new england muscle. they have an ebay store and the communication was great. last month i tried to order the interior from dearborn but they lady over the phone said that discount codes do not apply to complete kits since they are discounted already and it could take up to 3 months for it to arrive.
now to try and get the car painted before all the interior piece start showing up.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Ordered 64 500xl interior.

Ordered it about five months ago. And it showed up within a week.
Damn.

I can't call and gripe if you ordered yours back in Dec and I ordered mine in late Feb.

Guess I'll just have to wait another month and then go ballistic.

Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
So far, they sure smell nice.

Pulling the interior out this weekend, upholstry guy picks everything up Monday, seats get returned Friday, installing them next weekend.

Wildwood car show the following weekend.

That's the schedule.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Pulled the interior out today.

It's so hard to comprehend that it's been about thirty years since I put in the XL interior, chrome speaker surround, etc.

Where did the time go?

Man, you blink, it's gone.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
My upholstery guy is dropping my seats off tomorrow.

Took the driver side rear panels off to try and tighten the rear side window (loose/rattled).

Took everything I could off to try and get the window out with no sucess (got the window loose, but couldn't get it out), but when I repositioned the window and tightened everything up, the window tightened up and the rattle went away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i received everything yesterday. the seat covers and door panels look awesome. i cant believe how soon i got the interior kit after ordering it.
i would recommend talking to Becky from New England Muscle.

now to send the car off to the paint shop

1 - 18 of 18 Posts