Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time buying a vintage car and we are going to look at it tonight. It is a 66 Fastback that has been built by a reputable street rodder. I don't have pictures yet but it is all newly restored. Brand new paint and interior. It has a brand new 302 in it with a three speed automatic with overdrive. 4 wheel disk breaks, AC, power steering, 17" wheels. He says it is immaculate. He is asking $38,500 for it. Is that in the ballpark price wise? I just don't have anything to compare it to.Thank you!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
1. Never buy a car at night. Even in good light it hides many flaws. $38K? It better come with a hot redhead passenger for that much. $18 would be more like it and only if it is in "immaculate" shape. He's been watching to much BJ or Mecum auction TV

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
99 Posts
If it has a 302, that is not the original engine. What else is not original? For that price, it should be all original, with the engine and VIN codes to match. My brother just bought a very clean 1965 Fastback which was a Code correct GT 4-speed for 31K. So I think that price is a bit high.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1. Never buy a car at night. Even in good light it hides many flaws. $38K? It better come with a hot redhead passenger for that much. $18 would be more like it and only if it is in "immaculate" shape. He's been watching to much BJ or Mecum auction TV
No offense but where are you finding any 65-70 fast back in good condition for 18k? Maybe back during the last recession but not now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
"Good condition" has many meanings. Some call a rust bucket, good condition. Personally one that isn't a rust bucket and it still has many "workable" parts on it or it hasn't been butchered already can be in good condition. Many times it's how you approach the seller can cost or save you money. Sentimental valve adds $$$$s. Even to a rust bucket. Price can also be one of those, "just get it off the lot" for $200 deal. And an "all original" makes a big difference on price. Vehicle prices for this stuff has also been dropping due to the speculars have run their course now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"Good condition" has many meanings. Some call a rust bucket, good condition. Personally one that isn't a rust bucket and it still has many "workable" parts on it or it hasn't been butchered already can be in good condition. Many times it's how you approach the seller can cost or save you money. Sentimental valve adds $$$$s. Even to a rust bucket. Price can also be one of those, "just get it off the lot" for $200 deal. And an "all original" makes a big difference on price. Vehicle prices for this stuff has also been dropping due to the speculars have run their course now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree , $38,000 is too high for that car. My Brother has a 66 Fastback with complete floorpan restoration , new interior. new red paint w/white stripes, new 347 Stroker , new Magnum 500s , new tires, new suspension. etc etc. I am pretty sure he will sell his for under $35,000..............Hubert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts