Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just offloaded a pair of rims and I am going to use the money to put either single or double ribbed (polished or black) Radir Wheels on my Galaxie.

Should I go with:

15 X 7's all the way around?<-has 4 inch backsetting

15 X 8's all the way around?<-has 4 or 5 inch backsetting

15 X 10's on the rear with any of the above?<-has 4 or 5 inch backsetting

Combo of any of the above? And which backsetting is recommended for any of the above to apply to my car?

Here is some info on my vehicle. I plan to go with Airbags in the near future, so I need to contend with rubbing tires on the fender wells. I also plan on doing a disc brake conversion on the fronts and I have not decided if I am going to ante up for stainlesssteelbrakes.com parts or do a junkyard scrounge, so I need to make sure I use the same bolt pattern. I just do not know if it will mess with the backsetting by upgrading to disc brakes.

Also, if you have a good tire combo to suggest I sincerely appreciate it.

1964 Galaxie 500 stock 289 3spd auto, Black Suede with Red Flames
1964 Falcon 4 door, dead 200 Cid 6, Blue and White Grandma Car

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: desertdroog on 1/10/02 3:24am ]</font>

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know what the stock backsetting for a 1964 Ford Galaxie is? Does anyone know if upgrading to disc brakes from stainlesssteelbrakes.com will mess up my offset?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I've got 15 X 8 all the way around on my car with 275/60/15 tires on the back and although they're VERY close to the leaf springs they don't rub anywhere. I've had a set of steel wheels on the back once that were 15 X 10 and had 295/50/15 tires on there and they didn't rub either. My front tires are currently size 205/60/15 but they're really kinda small, next time I'm going up a couple sizes.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you are gonna run rubber that is really close to the fenders or springs, put in poly bushings.

Less side to side movement = less rubbing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to do poly bushings... however I could not find any company that offered it for my car. So I ordered the P.S.T. catalogue and got their front end rebuild kit which is all rubber.

JeremyL... what backsetting are on your 8 inch rims? 4 or 5? Also, do you have drums or did you do a conversion to discs as well?

1964 Galaxie 500 stock 289 3spd auto, Black Suede with Red Flames
1964 Falcon 4 door, dead 200 Cid 6, Blue and White Grandma Car

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: desertdroog on 1/11/02 2:23am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Polyurithane can be turned on a lathe. My front spring eye bushings are mustang units. Just had a guy from work turn 'em down, and they fit.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I've got disks in the front, they're off a '69 Country Squire wagon. The rear is still stock '64 drums. I'm not sure of the offset on my rims but if I get a chance I'll pull one and measure.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JeremyL, since you have 15X8's all the way around, is your car stock height, lowered, or raised? I am planning on putting airbags on my car with stainlesssteelbrakes.com hardware. So I know that the offset will be kicked out a bit, at least that is what they told me. On your rims do you have 4 or 5 inch of backsetting or are they something else? I have two bent rims currently and I am looking to get new rims and convert to disc at the same time. I was told by a street rodder that I should run 15X 6's in the front and 15X7's in the rear. But from what you told me I should be fine in the 15X8 on the rear, now I am trying to figure out how big I could go in front with lowering and not having any rub problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts