Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ………

So, I think I have gone about this all-wrong and need a little help and guidance. My ’65 has a 289 and I had all the body work and paint done 2 years ago. I had a continual overheating problem and after replacing/upgrading all the cooling components I found out that I had warped or had a gasket leak.

I have decided to replace my 289 with a 351W. The 351 is all apart and has been bored .030 over ( the guy I bought it from said it was out of a ’86 van). Where I need guidance and help is in the rebuild of that 351. I absolutely want speed but want street legal and do not want to have to put in high-octane gas. I have about $3K but would like to keep the cost to $2K if possible. I don’t know where I should start. Does any one have a parts list that I might be able to work from or is there a website that I can possible input the desired wend state then is generate a parts list? I need just about everything with the exception of crank, block and heads.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated … I am not that savvy in the mechanical realm but getting better with the help of those that are.

Thanks……
-Mark

·
Registered
237 Posts
well, i think the heads are going to hold you back, but as far as the rest of the parts, i would order a engine rebuild kit from summit. if you dont plan on using NOS, then go with the hyper pistons. the kit is a great price with those pistons. as far as a cam, summit has one cam that is their version for the 351w, its pretty mild, but with your heads, a big cam wouldnt make sense. they also have a double roller timing chain at a good price. as far as intake, a performer RPM or stealth would be good, but hood clearance can become a prob, so get a drop base air cleaner and an appropriate filter. since this is a pretty mild setup, a 600 vaccum secondary would be best for mileage and driveability. if you want more performance, go for a 650 double pumper. just make sure to get a good carb, not a questionable used one. for headers, hedman makes shorties and long tube for the 65/66 mustang 351w swap for about $105 in summit. the shorties are more like mid length and will give the best ground clearance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have this set up in my truck,the cam is the summit brand and I have flat top pistons the ones in the summit kit.My heads are 1978 casting 351w.600 holley, offenhauser 360 intake.I am using stock exhaust manifolds and dual pipes.It has good power all around and runs fine on 87 octane gas.I am in the process of building a 351w with flat tops and gt40p heads with edelbrock rpm cam,intake combo It should have close to 380 horse.The gt40p heads cost me 500 bucks with stainless valves and heavy duty hardware.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys .. this will be a great start. I’d like to keep the NOS option open if at all possible, so is there a specific gasket/piston set that is recommended? Re: the heads .. I’m open to having them reworked (they are not the flat top heads) or buying new if the cost is reasonable. I know new one can run a pretty penny. Ultimately, I would like to see ~ 400 HP out of this engine. What would I need to accomplish that? I guess you can call this my mid-life crisis project and I want to do it right ……… great stuff& thanks..

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I just swapped a 351 stroker into my 66 stang. Here is what I got minus the stroker stuff.
Used RPM heads - $700
Scorpion Roller Rockers - $200
Summit Rebuild kit - $300
RPM intake - $160 it fits mine w/ a 3" air cleaner
Headdman swap headders from summit $104 for long tube 1 5/8" primaries, fit relly good, but you will need the bracket to drop the power steering - dallas mustang $15
Rebuilt NAPA distributer for 69 stang w/ 351 was $45
Cam comp cams XE274H good street cam $150 w/ lifters
ARP rod and head bolts $70
Edelbrock fuel pump - $50
Used my old holley 670 street avenger
Dip stick and tube - $15
Oil pan - stock 69 stang $90 at dallas mustang, or milodon street pan $300 (dallas mustang back ordered my pan and I got stuck w/ spending the $$$)

That is under $2000 before machine work, and if you don't need a carb, valve covers, wires etc.

Machine work should be around $300 for the block work.
Good Luck and let me know if you need any more help.
It was a little pain in the ass to redrill all of the accessory brackets, but I got them all to fit.

·
Registered
237 Posts
is you want to keep the NOS option, summit has two kits, the cheaper hyper one i mentioned, or the same kit but with forged pistons which would be a good choice for a NOS install later. As far as getting 400 horse without the help of NOS, you would need more than just a stock rebuilt head and mild cam. Edelbrock advertises 400 horse and 400 foot pounds of torque or so with thier performer RPM package which consists of the performer RPM cam RPM aluminum heads and RPM intake. This combo will need pistons to take the large valves. i think the hyper kit from summit comes with the large valve relief pistons, but then again they arent forged, but the hypers should be ok with NOS up to 150 horse as long as things dont get lean. youll also need the full lenght headers and maybe a 700-750 double pumper. ofcourse the performer RRM package isnt very cheap since the heads are pretty expensive unless you get a good used set at a good price

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dave65FB on 4/30/02 8:46am ]</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts